BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies of this question answered.
My friend has invited me to fish from boat around Capilano mouth, however he never fished on ocean before. All he knows is how to drive his boat for pleasure in the ocean :)
We are not going anywhere else other than Capilano mouth area, I heard there should be good fishing there this time of the year.

Questions.

1) What should we have on-board to make sure we are ok with boating laws ( not sure if he knows, but I have to make sure I know and ask him too)
2) What fishing setup/gear/tackle should we use
3) Any other tips and tricks are appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
You need a bouyant heaving line, PFDs, water tight flashlight, tools, flares, whistle or blow horn, a VHF radio wouldn't hurt, paddles or spare source of power, check the web for the exact equipment. There is quite a bit of stuff you need.

You need downriggers to get your presentation down or bananna weights.

You need a good boater who can slip in and out of traffic because there will be quite a few boats.

Tape measure, cooler, knife, GPS, hootchies, spoons, the list goes on....

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big Green Machine said:
You need a bouyant heaving line, PFDs, water tight flashlight, tools, flares, whistle or blow horn, a VHF radio wouldn't hurt, paddles or spare source of power, check the web for the exact equipment. There is quite a bit of stuff you need.

You need downriggers to get your presentation down or bananna weights.

You need a good boater who can slip in and out of traffic because there will be quite a few boats.

Tape measure, cooler, knife, GPS, hootchies, spoons, the list goes on....
HOLY :confused: that it is indeed lot's things. thanks!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The Cap mouth is a dangerous and often crowded spot to fish. If there are a lot of boats in the area, tempers can get a little flared at times..
READ THE MARINE CHARTS CAREFULLY
You are likely better off to troll along the waterfront fro the pink palace apartment building out towards Pt. Atkinson, right now....4-6 oz. of weight, a flasher/hootchie combo, or flasher/coyote spoon or wonder spoon will work as will anchovies in a purple or green holder...You need to be down 20-30 ft.............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
As everyone has stated there are definitely things you want to look at. First and foremost is the "required safety" gear as mentioned above. "If" you do get stopped they will likely be checking for it all.

Depending where you decide to launch your boat; keep an eye on the tides or know what they are. Some local launches can be a bit tough getting boats in and out at low tides.

As for the "crowds"....as Ortho said you may want to stay out of the "melee" at the mouth, especially if you don't have downriggers. You will have to have a longer length of line out using a weight on your line as opposed to a rigger and having that line "strung" out behind you in "close quarters" can really pi$$ some people off. It is more of a courtesy that many do choose to ignore.

When trolling the tendency (again etiquette) is to work your way "east west" with the rest of the pack and not going back and forth across the general direction of travel of most boats. "When" you are going to turn do it well away from the pack as you don't want people having to always divert to stay out of your way, plus again if you have weights on as opposed to riggers that line is going to be trailing behind you a ways. Oh....and don't just reef on the steering wheel if you have the space to turn....a gentle wide turn away from the pack is a better way to go.

Keep an eye out for freighter/cruise ship traffic as those boats are big and they DO move faster than you would think. Also....watch for crab floats as they are a pain if you happen to get tangled around the line (I speak from experience ;) ) and there are still some people who drop there traps right in and amongst the general fishing area.

Make sure you have the proper license as well WITH a salmon tag.

As BGM said....there are lots of things you will need. Safe bets for lures out there without having to deal with "bait" are Coyote Spoons and Hoochies. Everyone will have their "secret color" but common colors patterns are cop car, army truck, plain white or glo hoochies, green/silver coyote spoons and "the list goes on". :peace:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, after reading all of this, I don't think it's a good idea to go with someone who never tried this before ... But very good reading guys, it was very usefull, something to keep an eye once I get my own boat in the future, will be probably inviting experienced BCFR members for free rides first, to learn you know ... :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Well ya gotta "pop your cherry" at some point. ;) This way you have the entire winter to think about what you did wrong.....or right for that matter.

If you wanna get out there I would do as Ortho said. Fish from the Pink Apartments heading west from Ambleside area. The area between the Pink Apartment/Ambleside towards the 'mouth' and Lions Gate is where the crowds really get bunched up.

Get out there and git er' done.....at least if you stay out of the "melee" and fish to the west of it you can see what happens in closer to the mouth. ;)

Better yet......start a new thread the day before you want to go out and mention how the Bell Buoy and T-10 area are really hot. ;) If the "power of the internet" does it's "trick" you should have nobody at the Cap except for the odd person who can't figure out how to turn on a computer or asks "what's AN internet??". :peace: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
nayhkilas said:
Apologies of this question answered.
My friend has invited me to fish from boat around Capilano mouth, however he never fished on ocean before. All he knows is how to drive his boat for pleasure in the ocean :)
One other thing for you nayhkilas; I assume your friend doesn't have downriggers on the boat? If "no" you are going to have as earlier mentioned to use banana weights to get your line down. The thing at the mouth of the Cap and along Ambleside is this time of the year you don't have to be down "too" deep. You can get fish in the top 10-30' of the water column.

As far as rigging up....visit your local tackle shop and they should be able to get you started on your way as to length of leaders, flashers etc etc.

Oh....and last but not least; "if" you make it out there and want to post your results on the Salt Forum, pictures are mandatory.....no if's and's or but's. :naughty:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can't believe anyone would stoop so low as to falsely tell people that an area is good just to draw them away from somewhere else. By the way I caught 10 springs everyday the past week at the T-10. Don't anyone go to the Cap Friday. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
W.Van isn't all that bad, if you stay away from the Cap mouth and the bridge. the current once you get close can be terrible.

And instead of Banana weights, I'd suggest slip weights. I used to use them all the time over there, without a problem. The Coho are never really that deep.

I wouldn't worry about being the first time... as long as you stay away from the mouth/bridge, but the fishing there isn't particularly better than most of the strech to the pink Apts anyway.

I'm counting the days till I get back. Hopefully the fishing heats up near the end of September!!!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Brisco....re-read my post as I assume your comment is directed my way. There was a VERY sarcastic undertone to my statement about "false reports" on the internet. How many "smilies" do I need to put in a post to show a bit of "tongue in cheek" sarcasm? :confused: :confused: :peace:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I note the differenceof opinion about slip weights vs. bannanas - there is a third option - planers. i have used "pink lady" planers for years. (not sure you can still buy them though). They are far easier to use than wieghts in my view especially when you are in rough water or a small boat when setting a slip weight is a bit of a pain. Only disadvantage is that it's hard to use a large flasher.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Nahkylas...another option for you...

When the coho really start to stage, read "soon", you can also anchor or row near the cap in the small bay just east of the mouth and cast spoons, spinners or fly...you'll be up on the shallows so you won't have to worry about the trollers...when the time is right it can be very good. Watch for surface activity, that will be a good sign it's time to get in there....

Others seem to mooch in there, I have not, but when I was younger I did spend some time casting spoons and the fly around there with some decent success...

Best to give it another week or two for larger numbers of fish to start staging...You'll know you're in the right spot, when you start to see coho jumping... ;)

Good luck...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pippen said:
Brisco....re-read my post as I assume your comment is directed my way. There was a VERY sarcastic undertone to my statement about "false reports" on the internet. How many "smilies" do I need to put in a post to show a bit of "tongue in cheek" sarcasm? :confused: :confused: :pea

It was not directed at you at all. Didn't you see my wink? Some of these hardcore guys need to relax. There is one guy who is always catching 40lb fish and not sharing info. Some people complain that places like the B.B. are crowded, well I'd rather see that than no boats at all. We need more people sportfishing so we don't lose things such as boat launches. I'd love to see it go back to the days where the trailers were lined up all the way back to the main road at McDonald Beach, and we all caught our limit of sockeye and springs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ribwart said:
Nahkylas...another option for you...

When the coho really start to stage, read "soon", you can also anchor or row near the cap in the small bay just east of the mouth and cast spoons, spinners or fly...you'll be up on the shallows so you won't have to worry about the trollers...when the time is right it can be very good. Watch for surface activity, that will be a good sign it's time to get in there....

Others seem to mooch in there, I have not, but when I was younger I did spend some time casting spoons and the fly around there with some decent success...

Best to give it another week or two for larger numbers of fish to start staging...You'll know you're in the right spot, when you start to see coho jumping... ;)

Good luck...
Thanks for suggestions Ribwart :cheers:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
brisco said:
It was not directed at you at all. Didn't you see my wink? Some of these hardcore guys need to relax. There is one guy who is always catching 40lb fish and not sharing info. Some people complain that places like the B.B. are crowded, well I'd rather see that than no boats at all. We need more people sportfishing so we don't lose things such as boat launches. I'd love to see it go back to the days where the trailers were lined up all the way back to the main road at McDonald Beach, and we all caught our limit of sockeye and springs.
Sorry Brisco....as mentioned when I first posted I was on my Blackberry and I kinda figured my joke to put him alone at the Cap was taken in the wrong context. :peace: I'll drink a beer for being the misinterpretter...... :beerchug:.....I can handle the punishment. ;)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ok. I'll weigh in with my 2 cents on "How to fish the Cap" and this is written for the "inexperienced" members who may not have fished there often.

1. Downriggers.
2. Anchovies on long leaders behind flashers or no flasher if you're so inclined. The water is clear.
3. Fish from 35 feet to the bottom.
4. The rule over there is "the boat with rods closest to the beach has the right of way". Guide boats use this. When choked up in the shallows, this is the way it is...There are many places where it goes from an 80 foot depth to a 50 foot depth in no time flat. If someone doesn't understand this, that means the riggers will have to be brought up and the course altered, resulting in missing the fish which would have been hooked in the next 3 minutes of trolling. Don't be the boat who screws the other boat over and forces them into having to alter their course and depth to stay clear of you.
5. If you're headed with the current, don't be arrogant and cut into a pack of boats crawling their way forward against the current.
6. The flood tide is the best for springs. You can get them on the ebb tide until the first push if the fish are in there thick.
7. On a flood tide the current wants to push you north, into the reef and into shallower water. If you happen to be turning to head West--note this. On a flood tide, boats do not troll parallel to the shore. Boats will be angled towards Pt. Atkinson.
8. When turning in the company of other boats, stay away from those other boats. Complete your turn, and stay better than 125 feet away from the other boats who have not changed their course. This year there are some fish deprived "fishers" over there who think that "this is just the way it is and forget everyone else, I'm just going to interfere and cause havoc with other boats"...no...go crawl back to your hole, put your boat on your trailer..and go home.
9. As of recent days, there are than 10 good fish (20 lbs plus) being taken on a given day (meaning bonked in the box). This number will quadruple when the bulk of the fish arrive. Springs smaller than 15 lbs don't count in my books and that's not why the guides fish there. The average number of boats over there at any given time is usually 25. 6 or more of which may be guide boats. The guide boats catch 80-90 percent of the total number of fish hooked on a given day. Consider this fact. Don't go over there with the expectation that you're going to catch.
10. When it becomes your turn to get a fish on the line, stay on top of your fish. Move your boat to be on your fish. Have your drag tight. If your fish takes out a half spool of line in one run, your drag is not adjusted properly, you're fishing with a Zebco Rod, or you're not paying attention.
11. Keep your temper in check. Leave it in the truck back on shore. There will be frusterating moments and you will meet people who are legitimately in need of getting a knuckle sandwich. However fishing is not the place to do it. If you make a mistake, apologize and just move on. Own up to it and smile and don't do it again.
12. If you're new to the area. Spend 15 or 20 minutes watching the guide boats, and watching what people are doing. It'll help you out.
13. Leave your "few beer" at home. The Cap is no place for inebriated fools who have impaired judgement.
14. Now there's a few people on here who won't like what I have said. That's ok. Head over to the Cap, don't heed my advice, and maybe you'll meet that guy who didn't leave his temper in the truck. Better yet, maybe you'll lose a couple of flashers, a couple of release clips, drop a cannonball or two or even get into a collision with other boats. Then you'll get a visit from the Harbour Patrol and/or Coast Guard when the other boater calls them on the VHF. Do the above 14 points sound intimidating and stressful? Yep, it certainly can be if you're not used to it. Which leads to point 15.
15. Get four or five guys together (split the cost) and charter through the well known Charter companies. Pop open a few pops, a bag of munchies, relax, let the guide drive you over the fish, drive boat and deal with the other maniacs. With the money you'll save on boat gas, chovies, stress, etc and the benefit of relaxing and the added fun--- you'll have a memorable time--all for probably less than $120/person. Merely double the cost of doing it all yourself, losing gear, spending gas, etc etc etc.

Tight lines and Sharp Hooks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.