BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking to see if anyone has great ideas on keeping their gear organized. I am talking about all the leaders with hoochies, teaser head.... I tie all my gear at home, I do loop up the leader and using masking tape to keep them in a bundle. With all the colours and lengths x2 or 3...its getting way too much.

Only thing thats working for me is for used gear. I take those pipe wrap form for plumbing, slip the swivel in the cut slot then wrap the leader on it, use the hook to keep it in place.

anyone with idea on keeping the tackle box organized???

·
Registered
107 Posts
pipe foam is a life saver. i also use the flasher bags they work great. you can fold them up or hang them yhey keep them from rusting and getting scuffed up.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Everything separated and in it's own nice bag/box.
All small stuff in one box,use as many dividers as necessary.
Safety pins for small stuff like swivels (diaper pins won't rust).
Plastic twist ties have many uses.
Those pipe wraps with leaders go in there own zippered bag.
I even put the terminal tackle on the leaders and cut a 4 - 6 " piece of pipe wrap for each one separately.
I wrap em up individually and they all go into a nice soft padded zippered bag that clips onto a ring on any tackle box.
Either get a bigger tackle box or more tackle boxes.
One for rivers, one for lakes, sturgeon, bass, fly, reels, etc.
Rig them all out so that you are not constanly stealing from each one.
Stealing from them to put in another is a killer as you will always forget to put it back.
You can get lots of quality and real cool bags, large and small for cheap, from places like Value village Sally Ann etc.
Yep, more organized containers and bags, and more tackle boxes.
Everything in a bag or box and then put them into the same. (bigger stuff goes good into to those plastic storage boxes, there's about 3 different sizes, just pick the ones that work for you.
Oh ya... And a pretty red wagon for the weight boxes!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Only thing thats working for me is for used gear. I take those pipe wrap form for plumbing, slip the swivel in the cut slot then wrap the leader on it, use the hook to keep it in place.
hey whale....you got a pic of the "pipe wrap" set up?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Plano boxes, clear film containers for the small stuff and corrogated plastic boards ( i steal the vote for me signs after elections and cut them up) for my pretied leaders.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Tofinoguy.
Good one. LMAO!
Very frugal. Tighter than skin on a weiner.
You bet. Anything to be more organized.

Pippen.
The pipe wrap is "foam pipe insulation wrap".
Used to insulate Hot water pipes.
Comes in 4 ft. lengths. slit down one side to slip over the water line
Any hardware store, Home depot etc.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'll tie up 200 - 300 Crippled Anchovie rigs a year. As I'm in the business I want them ready to go now. When the rig is tied I loosley wrap it in my hand and put the line loop into a small piece of drink straw, then put the rig in a "cookie bag" like a zip lock sandwich bag only smaller. All the other stuff like swivels, beads, Snaps etc go into Plano fishing boxes, they are the two level flat ones clear blue plastic, and tan.

I used to have tons of tackle on the boat, now I just carry the stuff I norlnally use and spares.

Bret

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im hoping these pics work.
I just wrap the line tight. it doesnt kink the line and its cheap. i can put 10 line on a foot long piece.

using straw is good idea. taping just leaves sticky from glue, if i just put them in the little zip lock, sometimes get tangles when i take them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am still using old cork mooching leader boards from my Grandfather's tackle box. They last forever (he must have used them for 30 or 40 years, and I have used them the last 20 or so). Three of them fit easily in my tackle box and give me 18 leaders for a day, which is enough around Vancouver. Easy access and no tangles. I'm sure you can still buy them at just about any tackle store, but they have lasted so long I have never bothered to look.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, I really like the pipe insulation idea. I was using the snell leader holder things with the springs in them - - - always falling off the end and making a big mess. Sometimes (usually???) the low-tech idea wins the day!

Thanks again,

~markb

·
Registered
578 Posts
I use to use the Pipe foam & rigg up @ least 10 or so leaders @ my beckon call but when the used leader was put away it tended to be wrapped amongst the new ties and a week after the old was rusted as the new & was not confident with the sun exposed mono leaders

Now I just have 3 leaders tied in my box coiled in zip lock bags & as soon as I utilize one I tie up its replacement while waiting for the net bite

I now use 2 fishing boxes one up front containing blank hoochies un-rigged, anchovy heads, spoons, plugs of all varied colors & sizes from the ones that hook to the the hopeful colors.
And in that box contains all that attach to thous lures ie swivels, various sizes of hooks, tooth pics, leaders, flashtails, beads & spare zip lock bags

The other box is actually a low profile tote which is stored near the fighting cockpit, it holds cannon balls, release clips, flashers, & larger items like spreader bars, hali gear, harpoon tips, WD40 & a few need-um tools
I like the large rimmed top of the tote because after different types of gear have been in the water I just place them on top to be rinsed with fresh water @ the next convenient time, also makes for a great place to dry gear after rinsing

·
Registered
151 Posts
i agree with Brett - simplify! i have cut way back on what i take out with me.

i use drinking straw pieces for keeping leaders organized - but i also don't pre-tie as many as i used to. i find i keep things far neater if i dont tie things up until i actually need them ( i.e. tie the next one as the last one is in use). i also make a point of taking the tackle box out of the boat every time i get home and i clean up the new mess and throw out things i know i will never need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone found a tackle box they really like? I've been looking for a while now and can't seem to find one with enough storage for larger items like flashers,plugs etc. Like some other people have mentioned I use pipe insulation and small totes which is fine when fishing on my own boat but I often go with other people and like to bring some of my own gear. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I like my leaders and lures ready at hand when I am out there so I took the same insulating material and wrapped my inside hard top supports with it. Then I added removable leader board on the sides of the cabin. All my pre-tied chovie heads, hoochies, and spoons for the day are strung on there and ready to go. Quick change ups help keep the gear where it should be (in the water)

photo 11 012 small.jpg photo 11 010 small.jpg photo 11 011 small.jpg

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Has anyone found a tackle box they really like? I've been looking for a while now and can't seem to find one with enough storage for larger items like flashers,plugs etc. Like some other people have mentioned I use pipe insulation and small totes which is fine when fishing on my own boat but I often go with other people and like to bring some of my own gear. Thanks in advance
I just picked up a shamano back pack tackle box at Nikka... Lots of room for everything.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i agree with Brett - simplify! i have cut way back on what i take out with me.

i use drinking straw pieces for keeping leaders organized - but i also don't pre-tie as many as i used to. i find i keep things far neater if i dont tie things up until i actually need them ( i.e. tie the next one as the last one is in use). i also make a point of taking the tackle box out of the boat every time i get home and i clean up the new mess and throw out things i know i will never need.
X3 with Brett and rpt......I tie up a half dozen or so of each of my usual lures depending where I'm fishing. Teaser heads, spoons, hoochies and plugs. What ever gets used that day gets brought back up to the cabin and gets retied over a beer or two ready for the next day. I try and keep the bags and boxes of tackle onshore and usually just have a couple of clear Plano boxes on board and one for terminal tackle and extra line. I do however always keep a fairly healthy Halibut gear supply on board so when the water is good its a easy decision to make the run.....lol :cheers:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I've tried the pipe cleaner route, the straws, hanging off the foam tubes, clear separate compartment gear boxes and more. Never was really happy with any of them...

Then a few years back, one of my Buddies suggested I try a vinyl "Expansion Wallet". I did, and shortly had several in hand, each labelled as to contents (spoons, flies, hootchies of varying size/color, etc). It holds around 3 or 4 of each in each individual envelope inside, pre-tied, ready to deploy very quickly. No turning back! For me, these are THE Answer!! :thumbup:

Here's an example: http://www.franklinmillsco.com/blac...on-wallet-letter-size-inch-per-box-p-350.html

Commonly available at most stationary stores, and downright inexpensive!

Flashers of course are In the Bag!! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have something on my boat like finaddict, works great for me .... always ready to go !

Its a child swim float with a stainless steel rod inside,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts