BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday I went out and fished using downriggers. I have never used them before, up to now favoring mooching/buzz bombs/sildas. So setting up the gear I realized how much I don't know, so hopefully you all will help me out a bit:

1. Flasher ....fatter end toward the rod or the hook?
2. How much line behind the boat before I clip it to the downrigger?
3. Length of leader between the flasher and the tackle?

Any other considerations and pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks
James

·
Registered
42 Posts
I usually place the release clip about 1 foot above the cannon ball. If they are electric downriggers you normally have a small plastic clip on the line to stop the retract, I set these so that on a calm day the cannon ball drags on the surface. Length of leader between flasher and tackle is dependant on the type of flasher and tackle. Plastic flasher I use 30 inch leader on a hootchie and 48 inches on a coyote spoon, with an Abe-n-Al I use 36 to 42 on a hootchie and 60 inch on a coyote.
You will find that you need to try different combinations on length of leaders due to where you fish and how your boat handles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phoneguy Canuck said:
On Sunday I went out and fished using downriggers. I have never used them before, up to now favoring mooching/buzz bombs/sildas. So setting up the gear I realized how much I don't know, so hopefully you all will help me out a bit:

1. Flasher ....fatter end toward the rod or the hook?
2. How much line behind the boat before I clip it to the downrigger? (ie how much mono dragging in the water before I hook to the downrigger?
3. Length of leader between the flasher and the tackle?

Any other considerations and pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks
James
Oh, and speed through the water. At lowest RPM I was making ~2.0KMP against the current and ~4.5 with the current (by handheld GPS). What speeds should I be trying to maintain?

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
2.7 to 3 on the GPS is a good speed, but I find I pay attention to the rod tips for a nice smooth action as you can be affected by the currents. using a Abe-n Al on one side will give you a good idea of speed your rod tip will move in and out with a nice even pulse when you get the speed right. Too slow and you get a long pull out and a short jerk back this is because the flasher is not making a full rotation and too fast the rod tip will be a series of short jerks. I posted in another link that you need to make a sea anchor if you troll to fast and can not get the speed down. I have seen a friend use a 5 gallon pail tied off back in his prop wake to slow him down.
Flasher is hooked up with the fat end to your tackle it usually has a clip for hooking to and the other end just has an eye.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
you can hook the flasher on either way, some guys say you can troll them slower with the fat end to the rod. its kida hard to judge your water speed using the gps uless you know exactly what the current speed is, and that never really constistant. i usually go by the downrigger lin angle

·
Registered
770 Posts
WRONG Wrong WRONG!!!!!!!

Fishaholic said:
you can hook the flasher on either way, some guys say you can troll them slower with the fat end to the rod. its kida hard to judge your water speed using the gps uless you know exactly what the current speed is, and that never really constistant. i usually go by the downrigger lin angle
ALWAYS FISH THE SLIM END TO YOUR ROD, AND THE FAT END TO YOUR LURE.

FISH AT 60 FEET AND SHALLOWER ON YOUR DOWNRIGGERS. FISH IN ABOUT 50 TO 100 FEET OF WATER. TROLL AT LEAST 2.0 mph OR BETTER. WITH A GOOD 45 DEGREE ANGLE ON YOUR LINE.

FISH COYOTE SPOONS IN THE GLO/FLO OR KERMIT ON A SIX FOOT LEADER BEHIND YOUR FLASHER. FISH YOUR FLASHER BACK ANYWHERE ABOUT 15 FEET.

OR FISH GREEN/WHITE HOOTCHIES/ OR YELLOW OR PINKISH HOOTCHIES ON A 25 TO 32 INCH LEADER WITH SHARP HOOKS BEHIND YOUR FLASHER. THE HOOTCHIES SHOULD BE TIED ON A MINIMUM 25 LB TEST LINE.

OR YOU CAN TRY APEXES, THE SMALLEST ONES IN PINK OR PURPLISH TROLLED FAST...2.5 MPH.

HERRING STRIP OR ANCHOVIES WILL DO JUST AS WELL.

ANY DEPTHS FROM 20 TO 60 FEET WILL WORK. TROLL ON RELATIVELY STRAIGHT COURSES...AND NEVER MIND THE GUYS FISHING IN 20 FEET OF WATER RIGHT IN CLOSE TO SHORE, THEY'RE USUALLY CATCHING JACKS...NOT THE 4 TO 6 LB AVERAGE FISH WHICH IS FOUND IN THIS RUN OF FISH.

There's gonna be a TON of boats over there tomorrow...follow a guide boat around for correct speed and watch how they do things.

if the fish are there, you'll be catching.

tight lines.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Fishon said it he's flossing while trolling... dispicable! :lol: :lol: :lol: JOKE!

As for fishing speed, for springs and sockeye I try to go just fast enough to make the flasher turn constantly. Sometime going into currant it seems as if you aren't moving but that is ok.

have fun, Jason

·
Registered
61 Posts
No, No! I dont want to start this.......I use about a three and half foot leader. I was reading stuff about guys flossing on the Fraser, so I thought I would try to be funny.

Steve

·
Registered
816 Posts
Joke Steve... I don't think there is a place in the ocean you can floss especailly trolling.
have fun, Jason
The emodicons did not work. :( :( :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fishaholic said:
you can hook the flasher on either way, some guys say you can troll them slower with the fat end to the rod. its kida hard to judge your water speed using the gps uless you know exactly what the current speed is, and that nBackwards flasher eh?.............. Oh PALEEZ!!!!!! Look, if your boat trolls fast, increase your leader length( a little at a time) and run your gear off your clip back further from the boat until you dial in to what works for you, and then stick with it. After that pay attention to your F.F and adjust your depth accordingly as it changes throughout the day. Find bait on your sounder and you will usually find fish. I run my flashers back 20-25ft. Plugs and spoons 30-40ft. At 800 rpm on slack water my boat averages 2.2-2.9 mph . If I troll for springs with big plugs and spoons offshore of ucluelet I increase my rpm to 1100 and a speed of almost 5mph, believe it. Springs are the quarry. Chalupaever really constistant. i usually go by the downrigger lin angle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts