BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing so much about curing roe with cool-aid. Has any one ever tried this before ???? If so does it work quite well or does it take away the effect of the roe (because of diff smell) or do the fish still love it?

Also if anyone has done this before could you give me some tips on how to cure it like this. Would you do it the same way as pro-cure and borax or a diff way. Pics would be great too 8)

Thanks everyone :cheers:
Dan

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just open the fresh skein, tear the pack open and sprinkle it over top.
let sit for an hour
then cut into match book size (some bigger whatever),
shake in Tupperware with borax twice,
then put in container for storage with fresh borax, layering borax between rows.

if you want it tough, let dry on a rack before first borax

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have used cool aid frequently in the past, doesnt cure up as good as chemical cures but we caught fish using it. What I like about it is the multitude of colors you can use, we found one particular flavor with pink and redd in it that worked very well (blue too) and were different shades than any colored chemical cure we can find

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've been using it for years. I do my roe in a brine so mainly it's used for the coloring and the chemical reaction that Krypto is talking about isn't really a factor for me. And yes, I do add different scents as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
young gun said:
merc when u say a brine, are mixing the cool-aid with other dyes or is it just cool-aid
Depends on what color I'm looking for. I usually do a bunch of different batches and some are just kool aid, others are mixed with some special dyes and coloring agents.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
those are loose chunks hook, another question, if u look at a skein u can distinctly see that there are seperations between the eggs vertically, do u cut down those and get flat round pieces or do u go at random and get what u get? i usually cut it out neatly and flat and dont think that it looks very natural in the water

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I was pretty sure they were chunks but i couldnt see any skein at all. Good job Scruffy

YG i just cut my roe randomly and get what i get LOL of course remember to cut it before curing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.