BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I thought I would throw this question out as a little challenge to see how well people can interpret both the saltwater and freshwater regulations. If our good mods feel there is a more appropriate section for this post, feel free to move it. It is primarilya 'salt' question but you'll see why some freshwater anglers must be interested. OK, here it is. It is a true or false question. Feel free to respond, but also include your rationale if your so inclined.

It is technically legal to target (not keep) dolly varden char in the tidal portion of the Fraser River using a bar rig (two lines on a spreader bar above a fixed weight). Attached to each of the lines is a barbed treble hook.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I believe the answer is true. If you read the 2009-2011 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide, it says the following:

"Barbless hooks are required for all salmon fishing (plus cutthroat trout and steelhead). Both single and treble barbless hooks are acceptable except in the tidal waters of the Fraser River." This reg is a bit strange because its silent on what happens in the tidal waters of the Fraser River although I believe they mean that its single barbless only in this area.
"Anglers are required by law to use BARBLESS hooks when fishing for salmon, including cutthroat trout and steelhead. Barbless treble hooks are allowable in most areas."

Since dollies are not salmon, cutthroat or steelhead, and because the regulations are silent as to what type of hook may be used for species other than these 3, I believe the answer is any hook, barbed or not and therefore you can use a barbed treble hook for dollies in the tidal waters of the Fraser.

Its obviously an enforcement problem and damn near impossible for an officer to charge someone for catching a salmon on a barbed treble hook, unless he bonks it, in view of the Officer.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I believe the answer is true. If you read the 2009-2011 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide, it says the following:

"Barbless hooks are required for all salmon fishing (plus cutthroat trout and steelhead). Both single and treble barbless hooks are acceptable except in the tidal waters of the Fraser River." This reg is a bit strange because its silent on what happens in the tidal waters of the Fraser River although I believe they mean that its single barbless only in this area.
"Anglers are required by law to use BARBLESS hooks when fishing for salmon, including cutthroat trout and steelhead. Barbless treble hooks are allowable in most areas."

Since dollies are not salmon, cutthroat or steelhead, and because the regulations are silent as to what type of hook may be used for species other than these 3, I believe the answer is any hook, barbed or not and therefore you can use a barbed treble hook for dollies in the tidal waters of the Fraser.

Its obviously an enforcement problem and damn near impossible for an officer to charge someone for catching a salmon on a barbed treble hook, unless he bonks it, in view of the Officer.
Page 25 in the Tidal Waters Sport fishing guide will answer this. Look at area 29! :cheers: sage

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

You're wrong:

"It is prohibited to use more than one line when sport fishing in the tidal waters of the Fraser River. While only one line per angler may be used, gear designed to catch a maximum of two fish at one time (bar rig) is permitted in this area, provided that two single barbless hooks are being used."

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well 11th Warrior, I love to be told I'm wrong on things like this. Never hurts to read a bit further in the regs does it. You're right and I'm wrong. It'll make my wife happy to know that!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Well 11th Warrior, I love to be told I'm wrong on things like this. Never hurts to read a bit further in the regs does it. You're right and I'm wrong. It'll make my wife happy to know that!
Don't take it the wrong way Rivahman. I'm quite often, short and to the point. No offence meant and I hope you're not offended.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi folks,

I thought I would throw this question out as a little challenge to see how well people can interpret both the saltwater and freshwater regulations. If our good mods feel there is a more appropriate section for this post, feel free to move it. It is primarilya 'salt' question but you'll see why some freshwater anglers must be interested. OK, here it is. It is a true or false question. Feel free to respond, but also include your rationale if your so inclined.

It is technically legal to target (not keep) dolly varden char in the tidal portion of the Fraser River using a bar rig (two lines on a spreader bar above a fixed weight). Attached to each of the lines is a barbed treble hook.
I believe it is false because I have fished in the chuck and you have to use barbless hooks correct? Also I believe that trebles aren't allowed. I do not fish the chuck very much and know what I can and cannot do in freshwater.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Don't take it the wrong way Rivahman. I'm quite often, short and to the point. No offence meant and I hope you're not offended.
Absolutely not 11th Warrior..no probs. Luckily my wife doesn't read these posts otherwise she'd let me know that I was wrong...again. God..no wonder man drinks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do I get a prize for being the first to get it right?

Rivahman - cheers to that... My wife rolls her eyes whenever she sees me on this forum as she knows I am either going to spend money on more "fishing crap" as she calls it or disappear early in the morning!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Do I get a prize for being the first to get it right?

Rivahman - cheers to that... My wife rolls her eyes whenever she sees me on this forum as she knows I am either going to spend money on more "fishing crap" as she calls it or disappear early in the morning!
ummmm...it was a true/false question and your answer is actually another question, since you put a question mark at the end of it.

The way I look at it....I was the first to answer 'correctly' ;)

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe it is false because I have fished in the chuck and you have to use barbless hooks correct?
Yes, but only for salmonids. You can however use treble or single hooks (barbed or barbless) in the salt portion for other species. You can also use barbless treble hooks for salmonids. This also applies to tidal portions of rivers which puzzles me. Could one then also target sturgeon using a single barbed treble hook??Why would it be acceptable to target game fish using a single barbed treble and why would two not be allowed but one is OK?

So, you can't use a bar rig (two hooks) rigged with treble hooks barbed or unbarbed. This is a Fraser River tidal reg I wonder if the tidal portion of other rivers have similar regs. I will look and get back to you all.

Another observation. If you look at the 'Unlawful Actions' section of the tidal regs there is mention of bar rigs but nothing about using single barbless like it says in the Area 29 regs. It states 'hooks.' I can see why people make mistakes.

At first I thought the easiest way to remember this rule was to think 'freshwater regs' as it states that it's single barbless for all streams everywhere but then realized that the freshwater regs have no say in tidal portions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts