BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a hummingbird piranh
aMax 220 fish finder for the pontoon yesterday. The unit itself I mounted in the oar lock mount . But when considering mounting the transducer I did some "googling" and found a trolling motor mount on the internet. Rather than getting some round stock and welding up some ugly line tangling mount , I would rather go with the motor mount. But I'll be damned if I can find one for sale in the lower mainland on the internet! Does anybody know where I can find one ???

Attachments

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Tulameen,but I have a rule I picked up from my father. I dont buy stuff online!! However I was down by Micheal and Youngs on whalley ring rd in surrey,and doncha know they were closed. Poor buggers are doin inventory today instead of fishin! But I was told to call in the morning, and they"ll order the mount in for me. Service with a smile..... :thumbup:

· Registered
517 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
I paid 1/3 the price I was quoted at Steveston Marine...with no duty or tax...the stores just order online and mark it up.The fish finder worked excellent the last 2 weeks at my bro's float cabin on Powell Lake..great for finding the thermoclines the fish are in and seeing the depth,bottom compo and stuctures

· Registered
517 Posts
Tulameen said:
I paid 1/3 the price I was quoted at Steveston Marine...with no duty or tax...the stores just order online and mark it up.The fish finder worked excellent the last 2 weeks at my bro's float cabin on Powell Lake..great for finding the thermoclines the fish are in and seeing the depth,bottom compo and stuctures
yes, but what about the fishes! ;D

· Registered
1,660 Posts
I have one on my Endura 30, and it works okay, but I wouldn't do it again. Of course, I am fishing from a 14' jon boat, not a pontoon boat. The problem with the mount is that there is too much interference from the EMO prop when you are going at a faster speed, and when I'm cruising down the lake with the gass motor, I have to tilt the EMO out of the water. That means that I don't get to use my sounder to see what's happening with the bottom structure.

Otherwise, it hold the transducer well and is actually a fairly elegant solution if you are only using an EMO. Bought mine at Cabelas.

BTW...mine is exactly like the one pictured in the first post, and it's a UNIVERSAL mount that not only takes Humminbird, but many other brands of transducers. It also won't work on the very largest EMO, because of the diameter of the motor housing.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
My buddy suctioned a transducer onto the side of the boat this weekend to his hummingbird fishfinder, but I think it was screwed up....It was reading 50 feet when I knew it was over a hundred feet and also when I could see the bottom....then when the "shallow" lines hit the bottom....showing 45 feet.....it was screwed for sure....
How should the transducer be secured for an accurate read??.....Ortho

· Registered
3,796 Posts
My eagle cuda finder comes with a suction cup attached transducer whish I stick to the bottom of one of the pontoons, or to the transom of my aluminum. Occasionally, the suctionb cup lets loose and the transducer swings free. I can always tell, because the finder suddenly shows 120 feet to the bottom when I know the lake is only 14' deep at the time. The transducer on your buddy's boat was probably pointed back rather than down, ortho. Giuseppe, although they are called fish finders, I don't find mine particularly effective at identifying fish. Most people who use them rely on them to show depth, make-up of the bottom and subsurface structure. This information is more important than seeing an image of a fish possibly passing through the sonar cone.

· Registered
517 Posts
professori said:
My eagle cuda finder comes with a suction cup attached transducer whish I stick to the bottom of one of the pontoons, or to the transom of my aluminum. Occasionally, the suctionb cup lets loose and the transducer swings free. I can always tell, because the finder suddenly shows 120 feet to the bottom when I know the lake is only 14' deep at the time. The transducer on your buddy's boat was probably pointed back rather than down, ortho. Giuseppe, although they are called fish finders, I don't find mine particularly effective at identifying fish. Most people who use them rely on them to show depth, make-up of the bottom and subsurface structure. This information is more important than seeing an image of a fish possibly passing through the sonar cone.
Thanks Prof., Now I see the value of it. I apologize. I assumed it was one of these fancy things looking for fishes. :-[

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.