BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I totally don’t know what I’m doing and would like some advise…. Help me!

I am heading up to Shuswap Lake and would like to do some fishing, but I don’t have a bloody clue what I’m doing. I am not a fisherman. Usually I have a actual angler to set me up and tell me the rules and such. I have a license. I have very little equipment, an ancient rod, old reel and some old lures and such. I don’t want to spend a ton of money. What can I purchase to make it worthwhile (so I’m just not wasting my time). We’ll have a small aluminum boat with motor. I am assuming I will be trolling with some sort of lure. Please tell me what I need to do, and don’t be afraid to dumb it down a notch. (rules, lures, weights, length of line).

Also, I have an old spin caster rod in addition to my other old rod. Is there a point to try to fish from shore. If so, using what?

Any help from you seasoned vets would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
..... /sigh i keep hitting the reply to thread and delete all my info

for simple fishing for rainbow a flat fish or hot shot will work

reds/oranges with black or orange/red/yellow dots
green frog style with black/silver speckles for rainbow.. i think these also work for kokanee

you can use a ford fender/gang troll with a wedding ring and a worm.. always works.. not to sure if you're allowed *bait* anymore though so may have to get someone with more on that as i'm not 100% familiar

for fly fishing.. match the hatch!!.. what ever is hatching out there right now will catch you the fish.. a reliable fly is a leetch!! always catch rainbow's on it..

6-8lb test line is enough..
top spin reel is good
4-8' long rod is big enough unless u are going for lake trout

·
Registered
261 Posts
17 lb. mono.. 3 - 7 ounce banana weight.. (more weight equals deeper fishing)

12 lb leader.. 3 or 4 inch Black sparkle or Green Apex.. 40 - 60 "leader.

Same above with 4" Olive or Black rabbit fur leech.

·
Registered
37 Posts
there is alot of kokanee in that area

....*no salmon roe*

i've always used flat fish or fly's in those lakes though

·
Retired Administrator
4,449 Posts
Hi there,

First thing you need to do is check the regs as there are more than usual for a large lake fishing experience. No bait allowed including salmon eggs. Tough lake to fly fish this time of year as fish are really deep so gear works best and you will need at least 4 ounces slip sinker 30-50 feet above your lure to get it down. The more line out trolling the better. I would bring the boat but stay close to shore. Fish first and last night. If you want a shore or bank fishing experience try Scotch Creek or the Adams River for rainbows or char using small spinners and your spinning rod and reel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
17 lb. mono.. 3 - 7 ounce banana weight.. (more weight equals deeper fishing)

12 lb leader.. 3 or 4 inch Black sparkle or Green Apex.. 40 - 60 "leader.

Same above with 4" Olive or Black rabbit fur leech.

I know this will sound dumb to pretty much all of you, but I don't know fishing terminology either. 40-60 leader? Does that mean 40-60 inches bewteen the banana weight and the "Green Apex"

·
Registered
419 Posts
This thread looks like a joke to me.

One could wonder what an inefficient way for learning!

Also to ponder over - the benefits of examination before obtaining a license.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Inefficient? Hardly, I'm at work! I know to most of you think my questions may look like a joke, but I am not a seasoned angler. City kid. My dad's old rod and tackle box. Trying something new. Not all of us fished growing up.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
This thread looks like a joke to me.

One could wonder what an inefficient way for learning!

Also to ponder over - the benefits of examination before obtaining a license.
I sure don't think it's a joke?? He qualified in his first post that he really doesn't know what he's doing, normally fishes with an 'actual angler' and is looking for some info. All of us had to start somewhere and for some of us it may be completely out of the blue without someone to help you out among family and friends. I have seen people join hunting forums because of their desire to hunt, but they have had no immediate influences from family, friends or co-workers to also mentor them. Ya gotta start learning somewhere and aside from going to an angling shop....why not see what ya can learn on the big ole' interweb! ;) I think it may be pretty cool to help a guy out as much as you can....and have him come back after a weekend and post up a pic of a fish he caught! 8)

Although there is almost way, way too much info to try and share with someone who is really "green" via typed words instead of an actual "in person" tutorial; who knows...maybe a few simple tips and instructions may help out and bring a new angler into our ranks? :thumbup:

Newfisherman......I am a 99% saltwater fisherman so I can't help you out with lake fishing all that much.

I know this will sound dumb to pretty much all of you, but I don't know fishing terminology either. 40-60 leader? Does that mean 40-60 inches bewteen the banana weight and the "Green Apex"
See!! Newfisherman is already starting to get it!!! :cheers:

Essentially.....you got er' right on that part. Are you going to have a boat that you'll be trolling around in or are you fishing from shore??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Pippen. It's all true ...

We will have a small aluminum boat w/engine for trolling. I may want to try from the shore as well, but don't know if that's an option. Most of my previous fishing has been off a dock with a bobber and worm. I'm as green as it gets.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Thanks Pippen. It's all true ...

We will have a small aluminum boat w/engine for trolling. I may want to try from the shore as well, but don't know if that's an option. Most of my previous fishing has been off a dock with a bobber and worm. I'm as green as it gets.
Looking back at the tips already given to you.....I think you've got a pretty good start! If you are fishing from shore as BGM mentioned...find a river/creek entrance and try there. Other than that....from what I know and have done on lakes in BC in the past; you've got some pretty darn good info to get ya going; and trolling....troll DEEP. It's been damn hot up there and the fish will be down quite a ways. Don't be afraid if you are trolling (or casting for that matter) to change up lures etc after a while if you're getting no action.

·
Registered
37 Posts
fishing from shore on shushwap/adams lake will catch you mostly Sqauwfish *pikeminnow* unfortunately from my experience

try to get out of the shallows and you will be fine *shallows being where u can see bottom as those lakes have a nice blue/green tinge to them* :)

·
Retired Administrator
4,449 Posts
Newfishermen,

Ignore the ignorant posts! I am still
puzzled by some of them. I still remember some of the good people who took the time to teach me how to fish and those on this forum who were so very patient. Have fun up there in the Shuswap and don't forget everyone has something to learn. I would attach your lure to your mainline and let it out 25 feet. Then clip on a 6 ounce slip sink. Don't use a bananna weight as they can only be attached close to your lure and will interfere with the lures action. Let out another 60 feet of line and your good to go! You can try up to 8 ounces of weight and the nice thing about this kind of weight is when a fish hits the weight gets tripped and you don't have to play the fish with a heavy weight. For lures try gold colored Apex Hot Spot lures or Lyman Plugs 4 inch in rainbow pattern. If things get slow and you are desperate put a flasher 6 feet before your lure or plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.