BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
584 Posts
Inboards don't have airfilters they have spark arrestors. Anything installed on the intake of an inboard must be marine for this property or else there is a large explosion hazard. Are you hearing a loud sucking noise? This is common with spark arrestors because of metal and the small gaps between them they whistle a bit, especially on take off. A new 496 sounds like a jet engine winding up when they take off because of the large air intake.

· Premium Member
2,719 Posts
cascademarine said:
Inboards don't have airfilters they have spark arrestors. Anything installed on the intake of an inboard must be marine for this property or else there is a large explosion hazard. Are you hearing a loud sucking noise? This is common with spark arrestors because of metal and the small gaps between them they whistle a bit, especially on take off. A new 496 sounds like a jet engine winding up when they take off because of the large air intake.
Exactly.... so if there is even a problem it would be something else

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I switched to a four blade 18 pitch prop which is about the lowest I can go with out getting into over revving issues, this helped a fair amount.

The engine sound good and once it gets planed it works very well. I know your not going to get a hole shot like a outboard so maybe I'm not being very realistic.

Thanks for your input

Conan :peace:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.