BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are spending 1/2 our BC vacation at as bass lake...and I'm coming from Ontario. Last time we were here I watched the locals attempt to catch bass by trolling lures. Also found some spinner rigs set up the wrong way as well as Octopus jigs rigged in silly ways on the bottom of the lake. Then I talked to other locals who would only fish bass on the fly. The only real fishing on this lake is in the spring for trout. Other locals simply stored their boats at this location so that they could fish better waters. They viewed bass as garbage fish. Me personally, I just loved catching bass that weren't lure shy...virtually any time of the day.

I'm even wondering if real estate prices are lower on BC lakes with bass!

· Registered
188 Posts
Ya you won't find much love on this site for bass, that is for sure !! Alot of these guys will openly admit to catching and throwning them in the bush, which is disgusting. Anyhow i'm new to bass'in and have caught my first few this year. There are lots of local areas to check out. You've probably found the bassfishbc.com site allready. Anyhow I want to catch alot more this year and check out all the new water. Besides with everyone hating on bass you can fish in peace. Sounds like you know what your doing for bass so pm me if you want to hook up for a beer and a mini bass fish off. Mike

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where I come from, Carp are detested and killed. I'll be with my family and really only fish in the early mornings and then sometimes in the evenings...but thanks for the offer. Check out this site, http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/ in early July. Lots of people will be posting on SM bass fishing as the season doesn't open until then. It is probably the most prized game fish in Ontario. O0

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Was fishing bass over the weekend on Osoyoos...went really well for my bass fishing teachers...some bigger fish, and lots of water to cover...myself, didn't do so hot, 3-4 fish over two days as the rookie...one on the fly, a popper, and the rest on sinko's.

The east coast boys showing me the ropes did very well though, they sure know their stuff...

I'll see if I can get some pics and movies together...

I'd definitely give it another shot...their fun fish! :thumbup:

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To me you would flyfish so that you have a better chance of a hook-up. For instance flyishing allows you to present flies more easily and quietly to bonefish down south.

Bass are very aggressive, you don't always need a stealth approach. With bass it is about location, lure selection, and time of day. Then it's getting your lure out there quickly. Most bass fishermen like the baitcasting reels which cast shorter but allow for greater accuracy and more casts per hr. You can do that better with "gear".

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Agreed Scuro, if looking for maximum efficiency, the level winds and spinning reels would far out do the fly gear in most situations. Although I definitely agree that the shortcoming to fishing the fly when compared to gear is based in time and versatility, I'll also add that stealth does have a little to do with it at times.

At one point this weekend one of the experienced bass anglers in our group mentioned that sometimes when casting under and along docks and other structure, landing it softly plays a big role. They were quite successful at not spooking a lot of them. But try casting under docks and such with the flyrod, it isn't too easy

The gear just allows more casts and retrieves, "more casts per hr", as you put it, that's the real advantage...covering more water, more quickly.

As a fly fisherman and a gear chucker however, I've found over the years that it isn't always about efficiency, or catching as many as possible, but also taking up the challenge of catching a few with various methods...exploring alternatives, trying different techniques. I fished gear and fly this weekend, and both were quite rewarding.

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone for trying with the flyrod, you can definitely catch them with one. Particularly when fishing top water flies.

I will get some pics and movies up for you bass hounds soon, and for all us west coasters who probably wouldn't have ever considered fishing for bass, give it a shot, it's a fun fishery... :thumbup:

rib

· Registered
578 Posts
I have fly fished Bass for twenty years. Perfected it on vacations with my relies in Ont, then applied those tactics here. What I really got a laugh out of in Ont, was how many of those guys would get mad and go home when out fished by a fly chucker. Of those who took the time to ask how I did what I was doing, many took up the fly. Top flies Clouser's Deep Minnow, Wooley Bugger, Crayfish, and Dolly Whacker (the later is mine pattern). Yes I am a fly fisherman and I say BC Bass Rock.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a whole attitude thing...in a way. When I came to be BC our first night was on Pender Island. We walked down to the local coffee shop at 830 and it wasn't open. That blew our minds...in fact it didn't open till 10 am!!! What is the point of having a coffee shop if you can't get a coffee in the morning!?!! Nice coffee by the way.

Ontario bass fishermen like bass because basically these fish are were they are supposed to be, and even on pressured waters one can still bring bass to the boat. This is one aggressive fish. The bass boys will buy very expensive bass boats that are useless on open water, have the latest gear and tech. It is competitive fishing. There are many bass tournaments. Ying and Yang.

· Registered
38 Posts
scuro said:
It's a whole attitude thing...in a way. When I came to be BC our first night was on Pender Island. We walked down to the local coffee shop at 830 and it wasn't open. That blew our minds...in fact it didn't open till 10 am!!! What is the point of having a coffee shop if you can't get a coffee in the morning!?!! Nice coffee by the way.

were you fishing on pender island? ive gone over there lots to play frisbee golf but havent even thought of fishing.

· Registered
1 Posts
I moved to Vancouver from Ohio. I have no Idea where to fish around here. I am so lost without Bass fishing. I lived right on Lake Erie so Bass fishing was great...there is nothing like a big tug and your line runs to the top of the water and then its all fun the fish jumps out of the water and gives a wicked fight.
Also all the rivers and creeks back at home were perfect for it. And Oh yea....perch, white bass, cat fish....I miss it all :(

Does anyone know of any good spots around here?

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh man wizdumb1....you are in for a treat. Just read the threads in the bass section and plenty of names of places are mentioned. I've also seen names mentioned in the BC tourism websites. No one is holding their cards close except me because we come out to this specific lake because a good friend lives there...I'd hate to see it become popular. The fish are big, the pressure is low, and the season is long. I don't even think there is a closed bass season in BC. Fish bass most of the year...some think the next SM bass record could come from BC.

· Registered
298 Posts
hmm, i wasn't aware there was much bass fishing in bc. Sure seems popular in the states and back east though. I'm sure they put up a good fight but they sure are ugly :p I'll take a chrome salmon or trout anyday ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.