BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that did not hook a single fish where I was. I was using exactly the same set up as many many many people around me, but no luck. I was short floating wool and foul hooked one spring and one chum. Other than that, not a single taker. I literally had guys on both sides of me up and down the river cartching many many many fish. I was using the exact same colors, float heights, lead weight and leader lengths, no luck. The only thing I had that was different was my dink float. I had the smaller dink as opposed to a larger one. That shouldn't matter should it?

The was a lady and gent that stood patiently waiting for a spot to fish. As soon as a spot opened up, the lady casts 4 times.....then a springer. Then her husband follows right behind her with a few casts, then hits a spring.

I've put in 16 hours the last 2 days..and no kings

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just very small details I guess: how hard your presentation hits the water, the size of you wool (very small right now) rating of your fishing line (lb. test) size of your hook, how much drag your line is making on the water, and it's hard to catch fish if your not confident with your presentation, so maybe adjust a few things a go back at er' with confidence :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12 lb test maxima leader
3/4" of yarn, then peeled in half width to make it skinny

My presentation was not abrupt. There was a guy right next to me that was using a bare hook and he could not keep the fish off of his line if he had to.

I guess it was just one of those days, one of those days I see far too often.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
One thing you didn't mention was the drift ! Was there adequit slack in the line for a natural appearence or was your line tight drawing attention away from your humble offering ? 8) Would this be the key ingredient Ribwert ?

Your Knowledge and insight into these matters are greatly appreciated and well recieved. There is so mutch to learn and knowledge wins hands down every time. Thanks Marko

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Thrasher said:
My presentation was not abrupt. There was a guy right next to me that was using a bare hook and he could not keep the fish off of his line if he had to.
Something wrong with this picture!!!!!!!! ...................S N A G G E R S ! :evil:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
last i checked a bare hook is concidered SNAGGING?

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Barbed hooks should not be sold hear or anywhere else for that matter, period. Snaggers :evil:

·
Registered
917 Posts
There was a guy right next to me that was using a bare hook and he could not keep the fish off of his line if he had to.
It is illegal to fish with a bare hook. If what you said is true, this fellow was flossing or snagging the fish!

12 lb test maxima leader
3/4" of yarn, then peeled in half width to make it skinny
I usually use 6 - 8 lb. leader, although I target coho - not springs. If I'm fishing wool, I like to trim it to about the size of a pea (or single egg).

Also, what size hooks were you using? I prefer size 2 or 4 (go smaller for low and clear water conditions).

Good luck... :)

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Sometimes those fish are just starving for a bare peice of metal!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: LoL, I'm sorry....I can't help it... 8)

The angler who is catches fish non stop with a bare hook, is not an angler, but rather someone who has become proficient at flossing/snagging fish.

I can only say this, and I will say it very carefully....There is an inherent danger in placing the too high a priority how many fish you catch compared to the guy next to you, especially in situations like the vedder these days, when the guy next to you is using questionable methods. The number of fish you catch in a day is not the determining factor of how much of a man you are, or whether you are a good fisherman or more importantly, whether you can be proud of yourself for who you are at the end of the day.

There is a choice you must make about the way you are going to fish. You alone must make that choice, you alone must defend it and live with it. There is a lot of information here, in books, and on other sites that will give you the knowledge required to become a skilled and responsible sportfisherman...or there are alternative ways to hook fish that you may choose to explore that might be easier, and allow more hookups, foul or otherwise....but that decision is one you should make...and live with.

If you want to know what is wrong with the flossing/snagging method, look up all the posts in here regarding that issue. Consider the negative impacts it has on fish stocks...

If you snag a nice wild coho, the numbers of which are in decline, and you release it and it dies an hour later because the hole in its belly allowed water to enter its body cavity and it drowned..or you catch a nice wild coho that was fair hooked and you release it safely and it lives to spawn and help preserve those stocks that are in decline...which scenario would you prefer? Which scenario would you feel proud and right to defend?

I am not saying it is easy to fish the responsible way if you want to "hook" as many fish as the flosser next to you, I am saying it is easy to fish the responsible way if you trully want to become more skilled at the sport of angling or tempting a fish to your line...and it will be so much more easy for you to feel good about yourself when the skills you learn begin to pay off, and year after year you begin to catch more and more fish...

There are many good posts all over the place in this forum that have excellent info on all the different variables involved in drift fishing. You can find them all here.
How people cut the yarn to look like a single egg....
how roe usually outfishes wool...
how a spinner can be deadly when everyone else is using the same thing...
how bottom bouncers can spook an entire pool in short order by ripping the float through the water nonstop...
how fishing away from the crowds can often find those spooked fish...
how giving the fish a rest and coming back to them later can counteract the spooked by snaggers factor...
how leader strength and diameter are related, how to short float roe above the heads of the fish so the nicer fish come up and strike...
How the coho tend to shy away from all the dirty old springs and the snaggers...

These ideas, theories and truths are all in here for the taking...but please do yourself a favor, don't feel you need to compare yourself with the flosser/snagger standing next to you...if his kid were standing next to him and he was teaching that child to hook fish in the ass, would you want to be compared to him then?
Don't get me wrong Thrasher, I'm not trying to jump on you here....I'm just saying be patient, do you homework...
read the stuff on this site....then ask questions about the things you don't quite get...

Nevermind the guy next to you...

rib

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Geez, Rib............your patience in the game is unbelieveable!! Good suggestions for those who don't play the game.....For any of you reading, the water conditions are unfit for catching fish, period!...The amount of fish legally caught under these conditions are minimal....Those who are hooking up on every cast and landing fish are for the most part excellent flossers....This can be accomplished with gear, as well as flies.....The entire fishery in the Vedder with the low water conditions is such an awful,crowded snagfest it just doesn't warrent heading out......sorry boys, we need WATER!!!.......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Great informaiton Rib. Hey Ortho - have your arms recovered from those Dragon Lake hogs? :lol: I spoke with FF and it sounds like he tied up a modified version of the "special leech" that worked quite well for you guys...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
FishFinder's special tie was indeed, special....I caught a couple of fish on my own fly, then having it ripped off by a big lunker,"Finder did tie up an excellent fly and I caught 4 beautiful fish on it and it's still non the worse for wear!.......Yeah, my arms recovered quickly from the Dragon fish, but the Chum action last week really was hard on the gear and the arms!......Lets see what the weekend brings....(I got another pass) :) ...........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like to use lures and they have worked well. About 8 years ago I found a book by a local guy who had fished every system around B.C. He did most of his hunting on the cap and the info given has been very rewarding. Sometimes you have to change it up.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Following up with fishing report from last Thursday on the Vedder. I was pretty frustrated with short float methods and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Well, I figured out a lot that I was doing wrong.

I learned that I had too much wool and it helped to keep it trimmed as to not get a trail behind it while it was in the drift because the fish could see the trail and get spooked. I also leaned that it helped to keep the wool small as in the size of a single egg, with these clear water conditions. I also moved away form the gong shows in an attempt to get some fish that were not being a part of the gong shows and being spooked.

Thursday was a great day of learning and a great day of fishing. I hooked and landed 5 kings, one was foul hooked.

Thanks for all the tips!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
And who might your comments be directed at? :?:
I think the word you are looking for is "banned" as in the past tense?
Why not put some information with your post?
Your generality is interesting but not too informative

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if it was directed at me, it couldn't be farther from the truth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts