BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Although I do alot of river and ocean fishing I still havent tried ice fishing. I was hoping to try it out in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone had any tactics and lakes to try out. All help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers and merry X-Mas

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think it might be a bit early for that. For sure by mid Feb, the interior and caribou will be okay, always check with the locals! Lakes around 70 mile have always been good to me. Green Lake, Jim Lake, etc. If you have a sled it would make exploring any lake a whole lot easier and more fun! (except when we got lost but that's something else for another time. ;D) Are you set up with any gear at all? Rods, reels, augers, tip ups etc.? Gotta have good, no, EXCELLENT boots! It doesn't take long for the cold to seep through cheap boots when you're standing around drinking hot toddies! :beerchug:
(Beer usually freezes after 30 secs. of opening.) We used to go up a lot but things change. But oh so much fun! I even have a little tip that has worked everytime we're out. When you are surrounded by 8 other guys all using the same gear, this secret has kept me up 3 to 1. pm me and I'll let you know.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
lophat said:
I think it might be a bit early for that. For sure by mid Feb, the interior and caribou will be okay, always check with the locals!
Lots of lakes are being fished now in the interior. They have been getting consistently cold weather at higher elevations. By all means talk to the locals, but no need to wait until February. Call Powderkeg in Merritt, Kamloops Fly Shop in Kamloops and get the local scoop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Professori is right, I stand corrected. If I remember, we went in Feb when the ice was thick enough to drive on. Not sure if that was the wisest thing to do but we didn't have decent sleds back then. Oh, to be young and foolish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.