BC Fishing Reports banner

ice off in princeton???

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  flychucker 
#1 ·
my brother is taking myself and my sons fishing up in princeton at the beginning of may.ive been hearing that ice off is a few weeks late this year ,and was hopping that someone might know how far along ice off is.I know the wind can take ice down fast, but with snow this past weekend ,Im worried about the wkend after next.The weather allways sucks when fishing is on!!!

#2 ·
I do not know about Princeton but at Tunkwa the other day it was -10 with a high of -1. The edges that where free of ice frooze again but only a thin layer. I sure hope things hurry up or slow down a bit as I do not want to be up there with the lake starting to turn. Just after ice off is good but not during the turn over.

#3 ·
yea i hope it just ices off before we get to our spot .it seems the fish are getting bigger every year at our little lake,last year a few 7-9lbdrs were caught on dry fly ........i will never have to fish again if i could catch one of those on a dry fly . not really into crony fishing but it works ,i still have a hard time with how such a small fly can catch such big fish :beerchug:

#7 ·
heres the deal... im going to a lake near princeton on thurs,buddy went up today to check it out and reported back that the ice was just comming of the shore.the forcast in the princeton calls for temps of 10-11 as a high and 0-1 as a low through the week. the lake is at 3400+ feet can anyone say from experiance if the lake will be off in 5 days from now? i'm taking my young sons so,we will be having a PLAN B......any sugestions???thanks guys

#8 ·
alot of variables there flychucker, depends on alot of things. first are the forcasters right, will it be windy enough to help the melt, is it tucked away in a hill side where no sun will get at it. i guess what i am saying is without the name i don't think anyone will be able to help you out.

#9 ·
sts this lake is small hard to get to and probably wont hold up to the preasure of the internet :naughty: :confused:but i will say this...the write up on this lake in the back road book is completely false ,as for a few others weve found the same to be true ,i guess you have to check the print date of the book.. the lake gets wind and sun

#10 ·
hey Flychucker, not looking for any hidden gems here but if you already have a plan B i would just role with plan A, and if that doesn,t work go with plan B. i for one would not be looking for info on a lake on the internet if you can not mention it in fear of pressure. if going with two young kids i would suggest going to the for sure thing so that they will not get disapointed with the amount of down time driving around, just my :2cents:

#11 ·
yes we have a few plan -Bs. we have allways fished this lake in fall and this is first ice off for us .i figured with all the info given,someone other than brian chan could predict an ice off .the name of the lake really is not important,which is why i was asking for an experienced point ov view.ive allready looked at previous years of when it happend .i'm looking for how long it would take if the ice is just off the shore yesterday. ive got 5 days till we leave and 5 days camping, thats 10 days. i personally think we r gonna hit it, if the predicted variables stay the same,but i dont have experience with ice off . thanx guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.