BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from the province news paper

a commercial salmon fisherman has been fined $5000.00 for illegal fishing. Jay Gold was fishing with prohibited hooks on june 15/07. Fisheries officers boarded the Miss Venus near la perouse reef on the northwest corner of graham island and discovered that Gold was using barbed hooks to catch spring salmon. Gold of victoria was fined $5000.00 of which $4900.00 will go towards salmon enhancement. it was his second conviction for the same offence.

great that this guy got nailed but for a second conviction don,t you think that this is a pretty prissy fine?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, this does seem a bit strange. This guy broke the law once and was fined. Then he did the same thing again. How many times has he been fishing, with barbs, and hasn't been caught? Obviously, unclear on the concept.

As a commercial fisherman, shouldn't he have a better understanding of the regulations than the average "fisher"? Or, is there a difference between "reading" and "following"? :)

G

·
Registered
28 Posts
Considering how short the season is I would say that 5k is a fairly large fine. I think making the commercial guys use barbless hooks is a joke personally. They all run large single hooks which are easy to get out with or without a barb. I see guys out in front of the cap who have no idea how to unhook a fish and are using trebles and it takes them forever to release a now dead fish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is pinching down the barb with a pair of plyiers considered acceptable ? to avoid this type of fine.
the fine may not seem like much to a commercial fisherman but it sure would hurt me!
My two cents: If your not willing to follow the regulations (which are designed for conservation) Then you should have your licence revoked.
And banned for at least five years. Same as with firearms.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Once pinched to be absolutely sure a DFO officer may perform what is described as the sweater test. By
running a pinched hook in a and out of a fleece or wool sweater one can tell whether a barb is adequately
flattened. Should come out easily.

Marko

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey, I know that guy! What a stupid thing to do. In my experience, the barb will make no difference to the number of springs to the boat for a commercial troller. But this guy is is like a museum piece. Not that old, but everything about him seems like he's stuck in the 1940's. I'd say he's somewhat unique in the industry. And a bit of a dope I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.