BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing quite a bit lately(last 2 months). I suppose no one wants to tell me but what the hell is the secret to catching a salmon ? I am not too picky at what type anymore, anything, please, anything !! Well not sockeye obviously. I have been mostly float fishing with pink wool and corky, tried peach wool and green wool. Also tried with just a spoon on the line and i seem to snag those on the rocks shortly after buying them, usually on first cast. I have been up and down the vedder a few times and at the fraser in a few places. Never get even a nibble. So, what am I missing ? PM me if you don't want to let everyone know your secrets.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
No big secret nff,I think what you need to know is right gear,right place at the right time.
The Fraser can be a tough place to fish at the best of times due to it's low visibility.There are
plenty of reports on successful trips I think It's just a matter of honing your skills and tuning
into the migration of the run...there in there, think of it like hunting.... :D Marko

·
Registered
167 Posts
nff, you might want to take a look and read over an earlier post on " Pinks Like it Sloow", as that topic had a lot of good tips on how to fish for pinks. One thing I picked out from your post is that you say you snag on bottom quite a bit when using a spoon. Are you using any other split shot to make your spoon sink? What you might want to do is to try casting the spoon without any other additional weight. Remember the salmon has to see the spoon fluttering slowly in the current and then it will make the decision to bite. If you are always dragging bottom, your lure is out of the strike zone. Instead, carry different weights of spoons, 1/4 oz, 1/8 oz, etc., and remember to retrieve slowly. Hopefully, your dry spell on salmon will end soon.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well we were at peg leg yesterday and there is definitely still alot of pinks around - mindu some are big humpies! And some of the fish are definitely not the color I would want - but we used the smallest crocs - with the pink on it and we had no problem catching pinks. I think you do better with the small to medium size crocs than the larger lures. We changed the hooks to the smaller, I think they were number one gammies. I never got hung up once and I was also retrieving very slowly.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've been fishing with the same friend for three years. I took him out once and put him on a couple of fish, and he was hooked. He invested heavily in good quality gear, and spent a long time reading and listing to my instructions. It took him two years to start catching. He'd stand beside me and not catch, he'd move into my spot and not catch, he'd mimic my rig and not catch. This year he is consistently catching as successfully as me. So be patient, and it will click for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Last week at Peg the peeps to the left of me caught only pinks and the peeps to the right seemed to only catch springs, 30 feet apart and different fish with the same setup. Today at the top of Peg in the slack water, everytime you tossed anything it landed on top of a humpie. When we moved into the Mintou channel it was tight lipped for everyone although the water speeds are different its not all that far apart. Right place at the right time helps alot but the right attitude and a cold beer helps so much more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.