BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folksI'm a newbie to the wonderful world of fly fishing and I've been in search of some high lakes where the water is still cold I can still do some surface fishing. I discovered Andys lake off the Coquihalla which was great. Does anyone think Callaghan or madeley near whistler will be good? I'm also considering falls lake on the coquihalla pass. Any other suggestions would be great. I have a 4x4, a hikeable kayak and a week of free time, so I'm willing to travel and can carry the boat up to 1 km if need be.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
It's been a late summer and most of the higher elevation lakes will still be in great shape, you could literally just pick one from a map and try it out. How far do you want to travel? There are some great lakes off the Connector Highway 97 that fish well all summer -
Reservoir, Walker, Rock, Pennask, Bluey, Kentucky, Alleyene, there are so many. It also depends on what kind of experience you're looking for, a trophy lake with big hard to catch fish or a lake with lots of easier to catch fish, or are you looking for more of a private wilderness retreat that will get you away from the crowds.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BGMI'm looking more for quantity than quality, as I'm new to fly fishing and need some experience fly casting and landing fish on barbless hooks. 12 inchers would be nice, but trophy lakes aren't necessary. Was at Ivey lake yesterdAy....no trophies though :(. I'd also really enjoy somewhere remote and beautiful, as I will be camping....but it doesn't have to have a campsite. I prefer rustic camping. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hike into Lindeman Lake, one of the best high country lakes in the LML. Mamquam lake is amazing if you have the time and the legs to make it in there.

Remote and beautifull describe both those lakes to a T, both have fish from 10-18 inches in good numbers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks PatWow! Mamquam is very intriguing. 24 km is a long hike. It must be spectacular up there...very remote. I'd really like to take my tiny kayak with me....so mamquam may not work. The hike into Lindeman is only 3km, but it sounds steep. Have you done this hike? How realistic is It to haul a forty pound kayak up there plus camping gear? I usually pack my boat in on my head, but I could build a two wheel cart.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Yup I have done them both, Lindeman is around 1.7 km not 3. I always just hiked a float tube in there you could hike a kayak in I guess, would take a couple trips if you want to bring in all your camping gear as well.

Takes about half an hour to get to Lindeman, the best fishing is at the far end near the inflow and up against the Talus slope.

If I recall corectly the elev gain into lindeman is only around 3-400 meters.

The fishing is good from shore on Mamquam, just bring a light pair of waders and some sandles so you can get yourself enough room to cast.

Spratlies, carries and buggers work well in both. Bring some dries in various sizes and styles for the clockwork evening rises as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello fellow fisher folks,Just returned from my week of fly fishing remote lakes while attempting to stay up high, where the water is cool, and the trout aren't sitting in the bottom of the lake. Here's where I fished....all on floating fly line. I know, I know, why not sinking line? Well, I don't have one...yet.Falls lake - coquihalla pass - not one bite, super windy and cold. All alone. Had to hike the kayak about a km in. Spectacular sceneryAndys lake - near brookmere - loads of small cuttys and bows. Woke up two mornings to ice! The lake was all mine for two daysDavis lake - a few bites. Great place to bring the family....lots of noise....dirt bikes, rave music, blah.Marquart lake - nice three pound bow. A couple other hits. Great place if you like sun, wind, more sun, and cows. Gwen lake - lake to myself - fun 4x4 road to get in. Woke up to my dog shaking beside me as the tent was surrounded by cows!Edna lake - lake to myself - I was told there was no way to drive from Gwen lake to Edna lake....well there is if you take the power line road and get lost trying for four hours. Lake has eastern brook trout but I didn't get any bites. Courtney lake - a trophy lake - but no action. Good swimming though.Dardenelles lake - awesome place - beautiful camping, fishing was slow, but there are big fish in there. I quickly learned that my 3.5 pound Tippett was aa bad idea as I lost a few big ones :(. I just figured out that I could have shortened my tapered leader to make things stronger..oh well..next time :).All in all I truly enjoyed my first fly fishing experience, with the dog, 4x4, and my kayak. I met some wonderful people who were friendly enough to share their expertise fly fishing experience on and off the water. Both the fishing shops in Merrit were also very helpful. One shop even opened a half hour early this morning to sell me a few flys. I'm already planning my next adventure!

·
Registered
327 Posts
So jealous!!!

Please tell me your single otherwise I might have to start looking for a new woman, one who would let me just take off on an adventure like that!

Sounds like one hell of a trip.

Cheers
-Paddy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys. It's a year since my original post but I thought I would resurrect this rather than starting a new post. I'm going to hit up Lindeman Lake this weekend and possibly Greendrop too. I will be hiking in a fourty pound kayak (on my shoulder) and light camping gear in my backpack. My dog will be joining me too :). I'm wondering how realistic this is (carrying a kayak 1.7 km's). I guess what I really need to know is how steep is the trail up to Lindeman Lake? What about Greendrop? Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point Arrgh! I think my pooch needs to work a little to earn that expensive food I feed her. I've actually been looking for a good pack for her lately. I figure she'd be good for about 15 pounds. She's a 50 pound Mexican mutt. Hopefully she doesn't become lunch for a cougar on the shoreline while I'm fishing :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
The hike up to Lindeman is fairly steep but short enough that I don't think you'll have a problem. And to get from Lindeman to Greendrop isnt too much of an elevation gain, but there are a few big rock scree's that you have to cross along the way. If your in good shape and dont pack a lot of unecessary items along with you, you should be able to make it. I've done a 9 day canoe trip in northern ontario (started from lake temagami) and there were some pretty brutal portages. Take your time and be safe you should have no problems. Good luck and post a report when you return!!

:cheers:
PK

·
Registered
26 Posts
The hike up to Lindeman is fairly steep but short enough that I don't think you'll have a problem. And to get from Lindeman to Greendrop isnt too much of an elevation gain, but there are a few big rock scree's that you have to cross along the way. If your in good shape and dont pack a lot of unecessary items along with you, you should be able to make it. I've done a 9 day canoe trip in northern ontario (started from lake temagami) and there were some pretty brutal portages. Take your time and be safe you should have no problems. Good luck and post a report when you return!!

:cheers:
PK
what lakes did you fish in norther Ontario ? Soory for going off topic

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for sharing your adventure Shorepig, sounds like a great time. I'm always on the lookout for remote destinations. Sometimes the trip in exploring new countryside is as fun as the fishing itself!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello folksI'm a newbie to the wonderful world of fly fishing and I've been in search of some high lakes where the water is still cold I can still do some surface fishing. I discovered Andys lake off the Coquihalla which was great. Does anyone think Callaghan or madeley near whistler will be good? I'm also considering falls lake on the coquihalla pass. Any other suggestions would be great. I have a 4x4, a hikeable kayak and a week of free time, so I'm willing to travel and can carry the boat up to 1 km if need be.
I know this thread is out of date now but I was hoping someone could help me.. We camped & fished at Andy's Lake a couple weeks ago and it was beautiful. We took a drive down the road up above Brook lake and could see people fishing down there but they didn't have a boat. Does anyone know how to get down to Brook lake? I tried driving around forever but couldn't find any access to it. Is it perhaps accessed from a different route through Brookmear? Or perhaps the other road around Andys Lake that's deactivated now? (Apparenlty a landslide?) I would love to try and fish Brook lake. Any help to this newbie would be appreciated :) Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts