BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"3 Fishermen, a 1000 casts, 3 sidebars and a river running through it..."

Looking down into the trench of a tailout on a beautiful run, a wary angler leans against a tree on his perch high up above the river peering intently into the water for any unsuspecting Steelhead that might be drifting silently in the current below...Then, sharp as day through a window in the current, the river bottom comes into clear view. He leans a little closer, eyes desperately searching the slot for a fish.
Movement...The telltale ghostly sillhouette of the large square tail of a nice sized steelie shows itself near a ledge towards the tail end of a run. Pointing at the fish, he urgently motions to his partner that a fish is definitely holding just downstream...

The remainder of this story has been removed at the original posters request.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Awesome read so far Rib, great pics to boot. You have my interest stoked for part 2 now!! ;D ;D To bad about the truck! ???

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Rib....I have only one word for you............artist!!....C'mon......don't keep us hanging too long.........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Man after only reading half the story RIB i feel like i got ripped off! wheres the rest of it! now i have to wait till after work!

C.K.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Excellent read Rib.

What's happened with truck?
Man, I feel like a kid in winter. Sitting next to fireplace in cold winter night, staring in chariots of fire, and listening my grandfather’s story with dropped yaw……

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Barba... ;) As for the truck, we called it in to the local RCMP and gave them all the specifics...I'd imagine the owner has been informed his truck has been found by now...hopefully they didn't lose too much in the theft, however, it seemed there was an electrical hookup for a camper still attached to the flatbed...Likely there was a camper attached to that truck at some point, hopefully not when this truck was stolen...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good read and the pics are SWEET. Man, that's fishy looking water. ;D
I about wet myself when I saw it.......... I think I need help :eek:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
"Part 2..."

"What, is that?", he asked himself out loud as his hookset was good and he had obviously hooked the fish..."A whitefish? A cuttie?". Slowly the float danced above the fast water with the obvious presence of a fish. Yet something was wrong. It seemed like whatever he had hooked had no weight to it at all. Cautiously he starts to swing the fish out of the fast water, and with gracious cooperation the fish comes along nicely into the slower water of the pool. He still hadn't seen it. "This is too easy...", he thought to himself...

The remainder of this story has been removed at the original posters request

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
ribwart said:
Sometimes, You just have to go for it...

Leaning into the current the angler dares to think about the slippery trek across a river, entranced by the access to a pool below him. His fishing partner already across laughs out loud as he stands there fighting with the current. Carefully looking at the rocks on the bottom he tries to pick a path across the deepest and last few yards of flow. "Commit", he thinks to himself, grasping his rod firmly and setting his weight he powers into the full force of the river...he should have considered that his fishing partner who crossed before him was at least a few inches taller than him, and he may have misjudged the depth. Spinning off balance, he goes for a swim and cold clear water washes up to his chest...a soaking, and well deserved I guess, for the idiotic and unnecessary idea of crossing the river. "That was dumb...", he thought to himself...as he desperately tried to retrieve some of his gear as floated downstream. Don't try this at home kids. If you do need to cross a river, which should be quite rare I hope, always do so with a friend, you don't want to get into trouble on your own... ;)
;D ;D When you hear "just start running downstream and across the river" you should double think your next actions very hard. The river ended up being up to my chest at one point, very breifly. Unfortunately the two fishey pools below us, the reason why we crossed, didn't produce anything.

It was a good day, thats for sure!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Now that's an adventure!.....Hope you had some dry clothes!.....Nice goin' ST.....you'll remember that one for quite awhile. ;)..Ortho 8)

**just a note on the safety of crossing a river**

Plan the crossing carefully. Use a sturdy wooden pole if necessary to check the depth when the clarity is bad..Some of those little troughs behind rocks can be deeper than you think!..Look downriver and ask yourself this question.....If I do go in where will the drift of the river current take me? To the shore., near some rocks, log jam...or right into the main channel with nothing but whitewater below?...Cross with at least two people, get a good solid grip on the other guy, and walk VERY SLOWLY.!!....Remember, if you are crossing, it is always easier with the current than trying to walk against it.............Put in an order with the wife girlfriend for an H20 sensitve or CO2 instant inflate lifevest..........All the guides use them and they are not bulky and could save your life!!.......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
648 Posts
not here to tell you "I told you so", but I'm afraid that precisely what happened to marko is why I chose not to leave my truck in that lot a couple of weeks ago!

·
Registered
279 Posts
That is a super quality read Rib. Some of that water looks very appetizing. If i wasn't such a garbage typer i might try writing something like that but it would take me 3hrs. It is much easier for me to enjoy reading yours. That's an eventfull day of steelheading for sure.

Tight Lines, Wes Roffey

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That'll be it for me for a while...school's going to start taking more and more of my time...but it was a story that had to be told... ;)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Great story and congrats on the fish.
Done that swim before, thats some deceiving water there and always deeper than it looks, time for neck waders or a wet suit ;D.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts