BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd throw this question out there and see what the members of BCFR think makes a good angler...I have my own answer to this question, but I will wait to post it here until a few responses are put up...

So, In your opinion, what makes a good angler...? Is it just numbers of fish that makes someone a top rod, or is there more to it than that...? What qualities, skills and/or characteristics do you think an angler should have before they garnish your respect...?

;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
I do think numbers have alot to do with it, but more so the abilty to adapt to different conditions and situations.

Some of the best anglers I know fish for everything.

The amount of time someone puts in is also a factor, but not just going to the vedder alot, but exploring. I see some people say "I cant wait till steelhead season starts" for me it never stops, its year round.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
HMMMM this question is actually not the easiest one to answer now is it?? Rib always making us think :-\

some people would argue that someone that catches lots of fish regardless of technique is a good fisherman, some would say that a more ethical fisherman is a better fisherman. This is going to be a touchy topic i can see that now :thumbup: and its good to see it here because we all like to express our views.

For me I would have to say that a good fisherman is someone that respects nature treating the fish,wildlife and landscape in which he is surrounded by with respect, fishing ethically, releasing fish that he/she cant retain, being gentle with EVERY fish regardless of species (not kick releasing), treating fellow fisherman with this same respect. I know im forgetting something as my brain is on xmas holiday :beerchug: and I havent been out fishing in a couple weeks so Im going through withdrawals :'(

I have seen some guys out there that are fishing ethically but not catching many so they then turn to unethical technique for a short time just to "catch" some fish. does this still make them good fisherman??

tight lines

HOOK

·
Registered
694 Posts
Like Hook said, a healthy respect for the resource. Including handling, ethics, etc.... Then numbers do come into it, not just look how many fish I can pull ou of a hole, butstick him on a different system and watch him still hit fish. If a guy can adapt his knowledge to any system or condition and still get into fish, then I'd say you got a good fishermen on your hands.

Me myself it still varies form system to system, and from one species to another. Luckily there some top rods around this valley that have been nice enough to let me fish with them :cheers:

Reactions: Rib

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is truly a question with many views

But surely a good angler is one who catches fish when no one else does - BUT in doing this they do not p--- you off But leave you with a desire to be like them - to see what they see and to understand what they have learned

A good angler is to be admired - and this means more than just who catches the most.

Over the years I am sure that we all have talked to fishers who talk of catching lots of fish and they do - BUT we do not strive to be like them or copy them - by the simplest test of volume they could be called a good angler But they are not the ones we speak about when we seriously discuss our sport.

Merry Christmas to all

Oakey

·
Registered
695 Posts
Catching a lot of fish doesn't mean your a good angler its a part of it having respect for others and the resouces,being openmined and willing to help are other trates a good angler should have.

scruffy

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't think a good angler has to be willing to share information or be open to helping beginners. A good angler might do these things, but he or she might also be quiet, shy, grumpy, secretive, very young, or dead. What a good angler is not, is greedy.

A good angler may only target a single species, and I think there are any number of reasons why. But if this is the case, they have to know the timing of the runs, the habits and holding water, and really be familliar with the habits of the species they fish where they fish it. But they do not have to be scientific.

A good angler has to repsect the environmet, and understand that fish are deeply connected to their habitat. A good angler must know better than to take more than needed and litter etc.

A good angler doesn't have to be someone I would like or want to be like. They just have to be good anglers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To me a good angler is all about respect. He or She will not only have respect for the fish they seek, but also for the environment in which they are fishing, those around them and yes the laws that govern the sport fishery ( good and bad).

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Fish by thge rules
NO LINING SNAGGING OR FLOSSING

No habitant........no fish
PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT!

Practice Catch & Release
LIMIT YOUR TAKE NOT TAKE YOUR LIMIT

Don't teach trash to swim
BRING OUT YOUR GARBAGE!

Practice safety
DON"T BECOME A STATISTIC!

Be adaptable, creative, and smart
LIVE LONGER & HELP OTHERS!

·
Registered
170 Posts
The number of fish caught is definately what defines a good fisherman. I think a good angler is someone that can catch fish without resorting to unethical methods. They can find the fish on their own, not just crowd into someone elses spot. Most of all, they respect the fish and eviroment.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here is my opinion.....

A GOOD angler is someone who catches fish on a consistent basis. They can fish a new unfamiliar system and still be productive.

Being a good angler has nothing to do with respecting others, the environment or the fish. Someone that doesn't do this, is just a complete IDIOT!

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
That's a question that can be answered many different ways.

.....There are many good anglers , ethical wise, with limited success but does this matter when
they care to take the time to learn the sport they love and cherish with such enthusiasum.

"The road being dotted and marked by countless unforgetable occations where firsts and wonderment
sheen light on what appears to be eturnal bliss."

There is no greater satisfaction in watching the culmination of years to perfection other than bearing
wittness to a humble degridation and realizing of an honest mistake.

Be good,Be safe and lend a helping hand where ever possible.

:beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have noticed that most of the answers include "respect". To me this is #1 to be great at anything. If you don't respect your surroundings, the fish, other anglers on the river and of course the environement it will come back and bite you in that ass. Even if said angler can pull fish out of a hat, without respect (and a little common sense) he isn't a great rod in my books.

To me it comes down to Respect, persistance, constant success catching the sought after species and of course ethics. Once someone has brought all of these aspects to thier angling, then they would be a great angler.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.