BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been flipping through my Backroads map book for a mid-october trip to the coast and settled on a perfect plan. Play furry creek day one, then that night drive down Indian River FSR to close to the Indian Arm, then spend three or four days jumping between indian river, norton lake and area. The area sounds absolutly unbelieveable, but... Just catching wind the Indian River FSR is close 3 clicks in??? Can anybody update me what happening there and/or just another area around Squamish that we can do some river as well as lake fishing??? thanks, B.

· Registered
781 Posts
It is usually closed off around the 3km mark. Most people just drive around the post on the right hand side and then continue on. I have not been up this year so they may have changed it but last I heard that was how you get past the gate. I wouldn't try it unless I had a car with a good amount of clearance. As for when you pass the gate I am not sure how it works if you get stuck or have a car problem my guess is nobody is coming for you. I hope that helps.

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Wigdog......

The Indian River FSR road has been closed for at least 3-4 years now right at where it branches off the main road. There is apparently a bridge washed out.....the road is not being maintained and I also heard rumors that part of the reason for leaving it closed is that they introduced Elk to the top of Indian Arm and want to keep access to a minimum. So unless you have a mountain bike or maybe a quad (not sure if a quad will help ya) it is a no-go.

As for going around the gate.....take your chances if you are in a truck. I know someone who did it last year and got dinged by the CO's or someone like that. I think they have modified the gate so that you can't get around.

· Registered
322 Posts
The road is closed.

The indian river is done for pinks and its too early to fish for chum. The river is fairly low all the pools have changed the last two years.
Best access is by boat, then walking up the service road. There is active ministry of forest operations in the area. Lots of bears, and reports of cougars...

I'd wait two years and catch the next pink run. Beautiful area.

As for Norton Lake, its really hard to get to. or was the last time i was there. If you manage to get a truck up the hixon creek road be prepared for it to take a beating. I'd skip Norton personally as there are plenty of other lakes in the lower main land that offer similar fishing without the hassle

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Sandhead said:
Lots of bears, and reports of cougars...
Not surprising at all with very limited access in there for hunting etc over the past few years. I have seen LOTS of bears in there even when there was access via the FSR and have seen 2 cougars in there as well.

With Mr. Grizz showing up in Squamish, Elaho and more recently in Brandywine area.....I would NOT be surprised if someone ran into one in there.

· Registered
147 Posts
I was up there late Aug and ran my boat up past the first cabin and then ran outa water. As the tide came in there were 3 other boats come up there with props. The dock is improved but not sure if it's public. The last time I was there was 1997 and drove in. Beautiful up there for sure!! :thumbup:

· Registered
185 Posts
i was up there by boat, at high tide you can get a prop a fairs ways up the river but low tide it gets kinda sketchy, and i didnt realize that the tide affects the shore line that mush so when we came back the skis were outa the water by 15 feet :eek: any ways, there were a couple of motor bikers up there that must have come through from squamish, the road might be okay. i do know of someone who got stopped two years back and almost had a hefty fine for motorbiking in there. i dont know for sure how the road is but it would be an awesome trip!

-fishey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.