BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
planning a trip for sure this summer to it but i was wanting to hit it up earlier to, like in december. I know how to get to it from the fsr and by boat. i also know that you cant use the fsr during winter due to snow. i was thinking about going this summer for sure and hoping to take the truck. i have been along the fsr years ago and it was washed out so only a dirt bike could get through, is this still the case? Also i wanted to go hunting for some steelies this december/january on this river and i have my own boat that i can use but i have no idea where to fish on that river or anything about it. Any insight to it would be much appreciated, weather its through pm (for those secret spots) or just posted.

thank you
-fishey

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey Fishey,

Good luck on the FSR, as I have tried to get in there this Spring and Fall hunting and it is closed for good. No more trucks aloud to drive the road.....

They aren't saying to much about it, but I got word the reason the road is closed for good is they planted a herd of Elk in there... So the only way now is by boat.

It is nice in there to when you time it right, with the colours..

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Be prepared for bears when you're up there fishey....I have fished this river for pinks on the fly several times, but not for steelhead. Everytime I was there, I found bears in the area, having said that they should be fast asleep by now, but just in case you do go, be prepared...December might be a bit early for steelies in there, but you never know...
Rib

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
fishey......I also used to be in there quite a bit. The Elk transplant could be a reason and from what I understand a few of the "washouts" which aren't substantial may be the other reason. I do know of a someone who was able to get a truck around the gate and made it all the way in this year and up to Norton, but with the gate locked you are takin' your chances.

I will agree with Rib on the bears.....have seen a good number and LOTS of sign when I have been in there. One thing to bear in mind (no pun intended :wink: ) is that the flow and "topography" (if that is the correct word) of that river change a great deal year after year and it may just take some exploring. Year after year we find different pools and flows due to debris and the run off. If you have a boat......take a mountain bike with you as it may give you a bit more mobility if you are wanting to try up and down the river and cover as much area as possible?

You may want to try and call a few different gov't offices in Squamish to see if you can get more answers. I know a few years back they were very helpful letting us know of the road status. Not sure if it was Natural Resources, Highways or Forestry office that a buddy of mine used to call.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts