BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
322 Posts
a couple of years ago fished the mouth of the stave for sturgeon, right next to our boat was a guy in one of those seyvlor inflatables. We were all slaying them. I couldnt believe that anyone would fish out of a inflatable like that for sturgeon.
As for a zodiac style boat, if that guy could fish out of that boat i'm convinced you could fish out of any inflatable for sturgeon. The real question is would you want to?

· Registered
691 Posts
It does help to have rod holders which can be made to fit easily. Couple things to watch for, be careful where you anchor, know how deep it is, make sure you can dis-connect the line quickly in cae of sweepers, and also think how easy it will be to release the fish.

I say this only after learning these lessons the harder way myself. I tried to anchor in about 75ft of water with strong current, almost pulled the bow under. Then went to a nicer spot, but after hooking a smaller 4-5ft'er found that with only me in the boat and myself+motor+fish all in the back corner I ran out of freeboard. I managed to release it, but now fish them from shore. ;)

· Registered
322 Posts
Dave Silver said:
personally i wouldnt do it. I dont like the thought of hauling an 8' monster covered in razor sharp scales up to the side of an inflatable. :hmmm:
Its usually the smaller one's that have the razor sharp scales :)
and really if your wearing a lifejacket and a sturgeon pops your inflatable boat and you manage to land the fish you'll have one heck of a story to tell

· Banned
55 Posts
You need 2 guys in the boat, one facing one way to watch for whatever washing downstream (not to mention tug and tows of all types) and the other to watch the tips of the rods/haul the anchor.

Did you know you should have twice the length of your boat in chain on your anchor rope to make sure your anchor lays down and catches bottom without dragging too much?

How are you going to haul chain over the pontoon? :hmmm:

Well it can be done but is something of a PITA.

Good advice on the instant release knot attach the whole kit and caboodle to a 16" Scotchman so you can cast off and chase large fish then return to your exact spot upstream of that certain hole.

One more thing, some people make the mistake of anchoring in fast water over deep deep holes, Yes there are fish there on the bottom there are many many better places to fish on the Fraser, shallower easier to anchor places by the dozen that have as many if not more fish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.