BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have used a little quicksilver inflatable. Once it is together, it works great. We flew around the Fraser in it last fall chasing pinks with a 9hp on it.

The major down side- if you need to take it apart, putting it back together can be a long procedure. The wooden floor panels have flared at the edges, making it hard to get the thing together. I can't buy replacements and i might have to make new ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
G'Day. I have had an Avon Inflatable Sportboat 14' with a Johnson 2 stroke 15hp. I have fished with it since 1983. I gave it last year to my son and he is fly fishing from it. Two people can fish from it in calm waters standing up. My son fished for pinks and silvers on protected water in Puget Sound standing up. He does wear a life vest. We did get very tired of putting it all together, but it can be done. We took it to Alaska (via ferry) with the boat in a bag, floor boards in a separate bag, the rails, oars, pump, and transom launching wheels and all fit in the truck. Since that trip I bought a trailer for it and it makes life sooo much easier. I recommend a trailer and if you need to take it apart so be it. The material has lasted very well because it is kept out of the sun with a canvas cover. I treated/cleaned the material once per year. I have run the South Fork of the Snake below Palisades dam about 6 years ago (did not stand up fishing on the river but used boat as a water taxi to take us to good riffles and such) and kicked back up to the launch with the motor (yes I dinged the prop on gravel just a couple of times). I got a 15hp because I could lift it. In retrospect, I wish I would have purchased a 25 even though it would take two people to lift it. BTW, we went halibut fishing from it and I landed a 75# halibut. My dad was with me on that trip and he managed to put a rope around the tail and we thought we could drag it backwards and kill it. Right. We got it to the beach and beat the thing and finally killed it with a knife in its brain. You do not want to use a knife on board! I have punctured the Avon (we called her Rubber Ducky), but with the proper cleaner, glue, and patch material it was easy to fix. If you can find one get the aluminium floor boards versus the wood. I would recommend the Avon or the Zodiak (a friend has had one about the same time I got mine and it has been a fantastic boat--but a bit bigger). You do get use to sitting on the tubes whilst underway. Plan on getting wet in chop! They are good fun, but a bit hard on an older back. Good luck in your decision. Cheers, Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.