BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am searching for an inflatable floation device that can be worn on your waist as I do not want to replace my wading jacket, does anyone know who makes this type of device and who would sell them?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Get yourself a self inflating Mustang jacket....You can wear over your wading jacket with no problems..........Ortho

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use a Mustang inflatable pfd that is worn around my waist like a belt...I use it for surfski racing but imagine it would work just as well for fishing. Has a cartridge that inflates the pfd when the yellow tab is pulled. Apparently once it inflates you pull the keyhole opening over your head...I've not tried to inflate it to find out just how it works.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I use a Mustang inflatable pfd that is worn around my waist like a belt...I use it for surfski racing but imagine it would work just as well for fishing. Has a cartridge that inflates the pfd when the yellow tab is pulled. Apparently once it inflates you pull the keyhole opening over your head...I've not tried to inflate it to find out just how it works.
Tried doing it while you're swept downstream.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use the Mustang MD3021 which is available at Steveston Marine.
http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=194
It does not auto inflate so that means pulling a little yellow tab which by the way I stuff inside the pouch so it does not catch on a branch. Then you would have to pull it over your head while bobbing downstream. Having said that it is the safest model for me for one reason. It is as comfortable as a wading belt which means I won't leave it in the closet. I have the full fishing vest inflatable PFD by Stearns but it is not my favorite vest (it's ugly) so I don't wear it. Remember that the best PFD is the one you will wear 100% of the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just wanted to let you guys know that the Hit technology from Mustang does fail and auto inflate when in the rain for prolonged periods of time. I learned this from a friend that worked for Mustang for the last 20 years. Then after I found this out last winter stomping the cheddar I had it happen in the bush, talk about scary when you are not expecting it. I do not use the auto inflate anymore. I went and bought a couple of charges and purposely went swimming with it and set it off to teach myself to pull the cord. You may not think that you are going to pull the cord but trust me you will. Just remember that it only works if you are wearing it 100% of the time.
Safe fishing and tight lines,
Scooter

·
Registered
261 Posts
I did the same with the waist packs. ( tried them out to be sure )

I learned that the "grip" is very important.

You want to grip it like you are holding the bottom of a baseball bat.

And yank " Straight Down ". no sideways stuff allowed.

I just wanted to let you guys know that the Hit technology from Mustang does fail and auto inflate when in the rain for prolonged periods of time. I learned this from a friend that worked for Mustang for the last 20 years. Then after I found this out last winter stomping the cheddar I had it happen in the bush, talk about scary when you are not expecting it. I do not use the auto inflate anymore. I went and bought a couple of charges and purposely went swimming with it and set it off to teach myself to pull the cord. You may not think that you are going to pull the cord but trust me you will. Just remember that it only works if you are wearing it 100% of the time.
Safe fishing and tight lines,
Scooter

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just had a boating accident on the Cowichan. Came around a corner and a huge tree was down blocking the river from side to side. Actually pissed me off as someone who should have known better had told me that it was gone. Anyway the left side of the tree was underwater and the right side probably a foot out. Anyone who has floattubed down from the town knows the tree. I tried for the left side but realized as I got closer that the mini waterfall had captured all sorts of tree branches and was very turbulent. I changed my tactic and tried for the right side. Unfortunately my pontoon boat hit an underwater branch and pitched me out and rolled under the log. If I didn't have my Mustang auto inflated I probably wouldn't be writing this. Anyway it inflated as advertized and I surfaced on the downstream side, float down the river for 5 or 600 yds. I lost two Sage rods all my gear including the pontoon boat but lived to tell the tale. So I would recommend the full vest you do not want to be struggling trying to pull on an inlated donut while traveling downstream in a fast river.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad you are ok. As I mentioned earlier I like the belt non-auto inflate model but I should have mentioned that is for wading ONLY! If I am pontooning down a river I wear a proper life jacket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks. Didn't even have time to get scared. You make an good point something is way better than nothing. The vedder can be quite swift so the PFD might be good. I've never worn either on the rivers like the vedder or the Skagit, but would definitely consider it now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts