BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to try salmon (coho and pinks) fishing on the fly from the shore along the eastern side of Vancouver island this year. If anyone has any info on when, where, how and what to use it would be greatly appreciated. PM me if you wish.

Can this still be fairly productive method to catch some fresh salmon before they enter the rivers. Is this a year for pinks on the island?

From what i have read on this site and in several books it is worth it to try along the flat beaches composed of baseball sized rocks that exist up and down the shore from several of the creeks and rivers within the mid island area. Right now I am thinking around nile creek and oyster river.

I have an eight weight fly rod with the rio versi tips but may buy a full sinking intermediate clear line to go with it. I am not sure of the name of the flies to use but generally they are all tied very sparse in greens, blues, pinks and silver. Any info on presentation techniques?

When do the fish start to show up? are there any fishing tackle shops up in that area that might be able to help?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
64 Posts
By athe sounds of it you are on the right track...

Nile and Oyster will be productive. I was up at the Nile this time last year and it was a bit early. My
book tells me that July 15 was about the first solid day for pinks.

The Campbell River is also a great spot with lots of access as is the Quinsam. Above and below the
Oyster are also good...Black Creek and up to Salmon Point. The fishing for pinks was even good last
year in the Departure Bay ferry area....

You are right...look for rocky beaches...sand is not the preferred site. For Coho look for a small, freshwater
flow into the salt...this can be very productive.

Flies seem about right...certainly pink and blue are useful....I would stop by the Nile Creek Fly Shop just
Nile Creek on Highway 19A. Courtney always has up-to-date info and a farily good assortment of flies
that are working. Rod size is great...your dry or clear slime head are best and use quick-short-strips.

If you are heading up the Island then the Eve and Cluxewe are the places to be...both excellent pink/coho
areas. These are best later in August.

That's about it for now....once things start Iwill post more on a regular basis.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Hi Flatlander

If you are heading up the Island then the Eve and Cluxewe are the places to be...both excellent pink/coho
areas. These are best later in August.
I agree. Also, the odd numbered years on ECVI are not the best years to fish for pinks. Two years ago the pink fishing at Nile and Oyster did not pick up until the start of August and even then it was very slow for some reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.