BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Grandpa was a pretty keen salt water fisherman and a few years ago I inherited a bunch of his stuff. I'm pretty much outfitted with flashers, hoochies and the rest but I am inexperienced in the salt and need some advise.
I plan on fishing local (Vancouver) waters for salmon from my 17 foot runabout.
I have four fiberglass mooching rods with 2 Hardy Longstone and 2 no-name single action reels.
The rods are in good condition, do I use them awhile then start looking for newer graphite replacements?
What test and type of line is recommended?
Mono or Braided?
How many yards will a Longstone hold?
How heavy of a downrigger ball do I need? I have 1 - 10 pounder already
Do you guys use the ones with fins?

Thanks,
Grant

·
Registered
234 Posts
In regards to your post I have a couple of points. If your rods are in good condition you will probably be able to use them. I f not, you can pick up some decent saltwater salmon rods for under $100 a piece at any of the local shops. I usually out fit my reels with 300 yards of 20lb mono test. seems to work just fine. I use 10 lb and 12 lb downrigger balls with fins on them to prevent them from spinning in the current. I hope you enjoy fishing locally as a lot of members on this site do! Good luck.. and see you out there.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
sink tip said:
The rods are in good condition, do I use them awhile then start looking for newer graphite replacements?
Boat rods do not necessarily need to be graphite. They are certainly nicer to play fish with, but there are many fibreglass rods that are pretty good for action as well. I just built a Lamiglass SH1095M that is a really nice 9 1/2 ' fibreglass trolling rod.
What test and type of line is recommended?
Most guys run 30 or 40 lb. maxima ultragreen mono mainlaine. Pretty much standard. For bottom fish rods - sturdy one piece 6 - 8' rods level wind reels (Shimano TLD series) and 80 - 100lb. braided mainline
How many yards will a Longstone hold?
sorry bud no idea on this one
How heavy of a downrigger ball do I need? I have 1 - 10 pounder already
Do you guys use the ones with fins?
12 - 15lb. cannon balls with fins is recommended. 10 lb is ok except in any kind of current and you'll find that you can buy one finned cannon ball for every three round ones. (the round ones will spin up your cable and you'll lose them due to cable stress

Thanks,Grant
You're welcome :thumbup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the tips. I bought a big spool of Maxima Ultragreen 25 pound and I'll spool as many reels as I can with that.
A neighbor gave me some 10 pound finned cannon balls so I'm set there.
I have one new rod I will use, the other rods will have to do for now.
I plan to be out this weekend so we'll see how it goes.

Grant

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.