BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing today and yesterday mornings at Peg Leg and most people I could see were bottom bouncing with 6 to 10 foot leaders. I was fishing spoons and jigs and felt out of place. I talked to a few people and they said they didn't care or didn't know that BBing was not advised. I managed to hook up more fish it seemed with my more ethical fishing methods than their's. I wonder why the tackle shops are not helping out in steering people away from these methods (BBing) and into more ethical ways. It seems to me that people do not want to give up their old ways, don't look for the education, or can't find it. I tried to do my part but no one cared and looked at me like I was the one who wasn't fishing the "right" gear.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The hardest thing to teach someone kingfisher is common sense. We all tolerate flossing for sockeye but thats all. Anyone who actually goes out to floss a pink should go golfing instead :wallbash: As far as tackle shops offering bottom bouncing gear these days (with sockeye closed), I suppose its hard or impossible for them to know what the gear is being used for. Selling someone a rifle doesn't mean they will go out and kill a human. Likewise, selling someone a bouncing betty doesn't mean they are going flossing...using less than a 3 foot leader bottom bouncing is NOT flossing in my opinion. Having said all that... I need another beer :beerchug:

·
Registered
101 Posts
pegleg is the bb hot spot...hundreds of un-ethical people try their luck there with 6-10ft leaders....

A TOTAL JOKE!!

I dont understand why DFO is not showing a greater awarness to this issue....i think they should just ban bb for all fish (except sockeye)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well - in the regulations (IMO) - they should note - "No bottom bouncing" Mindue as far as I know the only way to catch sockeye is bottom bouncing - but this year they did not want anyone to catch them so this year would have been the year they should have been more DIRECT.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Kingfisher2006, that pegleg-poach-a-rama, is not for everyone...good to hear you didn't partake. Pegleg is one place where the snaggers go so no one will say anything, safety in numbers. The funny thing is these fish hit everything, absolutely no reason to foul em' unless you are a completely useless angler who knows no other way, or do know its wrong & just don't care. :eek:

Anglers on this forum & others like it are trying to educate but..... :wallbash: Bottom bouncing is always OK, its about your intent.

KF ther are other bars on the fraser that seem to be void of the snaggers, Herrling has been fairly snagger-free when I've been out. Why snag anyways, you won't hook as many & they'll be hooked in the hump, no fun at all.

On a more positive note I've noticed way more people trying to fish (fly, spoon, floats) :thumbup:

Is it not common knowledge now that a bouncin' betty with a long leader is a snaggin' setup, made for ONE reason only. They DO NOT bite this at all. The ignorance excuse was lost in the 90's. Intentional snagging has ALWAYS been illegal. This is a sad 'Dead Horse' :pissed:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.