BC Fishing Reports banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish the ocean far more than rivers or lakes, and am new to some of the terminology for river fishing. Today (Sunday October 12) I saw what may be what you guys call "flossing", though I'm not sure. At the very least, it surely looked like snagging.

After letting their float rigs drift a while and just before reeling them in, most of the fishermen I saw suddenly and violently jerked their line in what appeared to be an attempt to snag a fish. Sure enough, of the two small coho and six or seven Chums that were hooked (only two landed), every single one was foul hooked. Not a single clean bite in the five hours (7-12AM) I was there. I didn't want to ask anybody why they were doing this, as I didn't want to incur their wrath. I never adopted the technique, preferring to get a clean bite (or not). Unfortunatley, all I got was one weak hit after using wool, roe in a bait sac, and a Colorado blade setup with float.

· Registered
844 Posts
Probably trying to floss on the drift and adding a blatant snagging attempt at the end to complete a perfect lesson in being unethical. A$$holes.

Derek

· Registered
876 Posts
This is part of the flossing process....
At the end of each drift you pull because your line is still swining and could have a fishes mouth on it so you pull before you reel in to make sure that if there is a fish being flossed by your line that you don't miss it.

· Registered
78 Posts
LOL saw all that BS today too. Pool of 20+ guys and I was the only one short floating with jigs. Saw a few "pros" out as well, Simms waders, fancy vests and coats, Islander pin.......6' leader. Priceless.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Good question Captain Dave,

I am glad to see that many members took the time to give you some great answers. I agree with most of them that would be snagging and flossing, all wrapped into one ugly package.

If you want to learn more about the flossing issue try doing a search on the topic, you will probably be amazed by the amount of info you can dig up.

I am going to lock this one up since your question has been answered very well.

Pat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.