BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The East/West Connection" (Part 1)

Meandering along the trail through the trees, a caravan of eager young steelheaders peer through the branches at a tantalizing set of slicks through a bend in the river below them. Monstrous immovable boulders hold steadfast in the relentless current, breaking the water effortlessly. Steelhead live here.

Pairing up, the four anglers split down separate paths to the shoreline, picking their way over roots and stones to the river's edge.

One after the another, floats sail out over the water, landing softly into various seams and pockets, drifting slowly through the depths below. Nice bright winter steelhead eyeball their presentations with increasing curiosity, stirring restlessly from their drifting sleep.

Moving with the current towards some excellent looking structure near the shoreline, a nice tight drift drops into a deep slot a few meager feet from shore. The angler tenses as the float bobs around as if in slow motion, that's the money spot right there he thinks to himself...

Nearing the last few feet before a nice sized boulder the float takes a sudden turn to the side, and the rod comes up tight to a blazing quick slash of a fish's tail. A flash of chrome breaks water violently in a vicious turn for freedom...

Peeling line off the reel with awesome runs, an angler holds on tight for a fight with the fish that would soon bring an early end to his day....

One anglers day is done just as quickly as it had begun...

Little did the others know, but today was definitely going to be a good day... ;)

Big Late season Doe

Tune in tomorrow, same time, same channel,
for the next exciting installment from...

...your favorite river... :yummy:

...To Be Continued...

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ya no kidding Rib why do you do this to us all the time

:'( :'( :'( :'( especially those of us that should have gone out for the end of licence day :'( :'( :'( :'(

feeling like a jackass

HOOK

should have hit the flow

·
Registered
101 Posts
yeah come on Rib lets hear the rest of it.....i saw some of the pics on Steelie99's camera....amazing!! how is it I get skunked both days and you guys get into so many fish....i will be taking every chance to hit the flow this week....lucky enough i work in chilliwack/hope all week so i have decided to hit the flow from 7-9 every morning the rest of the week and all day friday....wish me luck and PM your hot spots!

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PART 2

"Is it a hatchery…?"

Yup...,"

" I’m keepin her…”, the angler stated immediately.

Guiding the fish to shore, a quick hand tails the nice bright doe for a kill. Some excited talk and a few pictures afterwards and it was the other anglers turn. Hastily he picks up his rod and jumps back up onto a sturdy rock from which to cast.

"The morning run..."

Downstream, the other two fishermen, worked some really nice water to no avail. Tossing blades and roe bags, but not a fish was to be found, or so we thought…

Back to the successful duo…

Swinging the line out over the water, he follows the drift down its path, eyes staring intently at his float…nothing. Quickly retrieving his gear, the angler spots a subtle path in the water, a tiny slick within the larger one around it. Casting out to the top of the drift, the float settles into its line again. Like an aircraft on approach…

Touchdown. “Fish on!”. Line peels off the Islander in sharp powerful bursts as another nice doe takes up the fight….

Expertly playing the fish, enduring several blinding runs down the quickly moving tailout, and turning it back again and again, the moment is finally at hand. Quickly the favor is returned, and another doe is tailed.

“Nice wild doe”,

“Yup, real nice”

Gently cradling the fish in the water they give it a drink, then quickly lift it for a snapshot, before reviving the beautiful fish and sending it on its way.

A nice wild hen smiles for the camera...

By this time, the two anglers downstream had decided to come up and check out what all the action was about. The group exchanges stories and laughs, finally deciding what to do. They would move on to another spot down river somewhere. On their way back up the trail, Steelie99, one of the eastern steelheaders who will from this point onward go by the name of “Steelie101”, decides to fish some of the water that we started at in the morning.

Are they here?

We scoff at him, laughing, nervously hoping we covered that water well enough, and continue on to try a few more spots on the way back to the truck. Within moments Steelie101, begins to work the slicks and, as we are beginning to fish our own water, we hear a muted yell from upstream, and look to see he’s done it again!!!! “Schoolteacher” indeed. Battling what appeared to be a nice sized steelie, soon in between drifts we see the fish is coming to hand. The man’s a machine!!!!

Later, downriver at their newly chosen spot, the group would soon witness something they had only heard of in fairy tales, a mythical creature few, if any, have ever seen… :eek:

Settling into their routine, the anglers work a nice run and all the current seams within their reach. In the middle of drifts, gazing around at the beautiful sights, soaking in the great weather and the sound of the river flowing by, an angler looks up to see Bigfoot bathing in some water downstream and across the river…

"Use soap!"

Pondering this for a moment, the angler realizes there are much more important things to focus on...

Tied into a nice sized fish...

…To Be Continued again soon… ;) ;D

[size=8pt]Part 3 Tomorrow...
:wallbash:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Another quality read Rib. Too bad I got the inside scoop ;) but don't worry, your story is safe with me.

Part 3, then 4, then maybe 5....could this be the beginning of a mini-series!!!!

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One or two more parts tops...hopefully just the one, I'll omit some more stuff to keep it shorter...

On that note, and regrettably, I am postponing the last installment till tomorrow night...too much to do, to little time... :'(

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Part 3: The East/West Connection...

Ok...By now you might be wondering what the whole East/West title is all about...

The four of us in this story hit the river last weekend a little later in the day. Dan, (not a BCFR guy), Nates, Steelie101, and myself ended up just off the highway at Reaction Fly and Tackle around 9 am ish. We picked up our new licences, talked flyfishing, drank coffee, looked at pics, and basically lounged about for while. Nates and Steelie101 are Ontario boys with a whole bunch of eastern canada fishing experience. Dan and myself were proudly representing the west coast anglers, while the other two yokels were fishin' it east coast style... ;D

When we finally got to the river it was nearing 10 o'clock, and within minutes of us getting there, Dan, fishing with Steelie101 above Nates and I, got into a nice hatch right off the bat...Then Steelie101 got into one shortly thereafter. All the while Nates and I were fishing some really fishy looking water, but didn't get a thing...But you've likely read some of this already in part 1, so I'll get on with it.

After Steelie101 showed us up, and landed a nice fish in the very same spot Nates and I were fishing unsuccessfully earlier, we all made our way downstream towards some more promising water...Dan had bonked his hatchery, so he and Steelie went down to the truck to get his gear so Dan could head for home. As he was leaving, he and Nates, (the easteners), pointed out that they hadn't worked the water I was drifting at all... ::) Of course I knew this to be untrue because I was watching as one of them drifted through it along with me... ;) But we all felt it was prime water, and agreed it must hold a fish, so I kept at it...besides, I had just figured out there was a subtle dip in the bottom, about 6-10 inches, so I wanted to drop my presentation down in there a few times before I moved on.

Sure enough, a few minutes later, just as I was beginning to think I was wrong about a fish holding there... I felt the tell tail bite of a fish sampling my peach wool tie. The water was flowing quite fast next to the boil I hooked it in and the fish put up a hell of a fight, some video and pics, and soon a nice, slightly colored wild buck was on its way...it threw the hook after several attempts to tail it, but no matter, it was a great fight, gotta love the quick release!!!

With Steelie101 watching as he walked back up to our spot, we sat a talked a bit, and laughed it up...these east coasters aren't all that bad.... ;D Soon thereafter, we settled in to fishing once again.

Shortly thereafter, I looked up briefly in between drifts to see Nates set the hook on a nice piece of steel. This fish just tore off downstream, peeling line off his reel at a torrid pace!!! We all laughed, because the day before steelie101 had chased a fish way downstream to land it, and we had all clearly heard Nates say,
"I won't go chasing a fish like that, that's crazy..."

Click Here!!!: Nates finally decides to go after it...(Video)

Well, he did chase that fish, but not too far...he decided to make a stand a handful of yards downstream, and managed to turn the fish slowly back to him. Foot by agonizing foot, with the rod bent over big time, Nates managed to get the fish up close...It was a beauty wild doe, and big too...what a strong, stubborn fish. After what must have seemed like forever we finally got to watch the fight up close, but minutes later this big fish managed to throw the hook right next to shore, and we didn't even lay a hand on her...

By the end of the day, we had gotten into a total of 8 fish between the four of us, and had an absolutely great time. It's always good to fish with the good old east coast boys, share some stories and catch some fish. Can't wait till next time, here's one last fishy pic to get your blood pumping...

Thx for reading,

rib

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.