BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have to say that this has been the most disappointing seasons on the Cap that I can remember.The spring run was dismal and the cohos showed up and left or died waiting.I have never been so disappointed with this system than now and really feel that it's all over now with the exception of a few stragglers here and there. I took a peek in the hatchery yesterday and there is no way as near as many fish as there should be and the ones in there are black and red. They've been there awhile! for awhile I was hoping that the run was later and they would finally show up but absolutely nothing coming in on the lower end at all and even the seals have moved on. does anyone else feel the same?

Hotrod

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I dont fish the Cap, but im not gonna give up hope on my local streams untill the water levels drop and i got a good chance to poke around. Good things happen to people who are optomistic and patient. It could be worse.

·
Registered
770 Posts
hotrod said:
Well I have to say that this has been the most disappointing seasons on the Cap that I can remember.The spring run was dismal and the cohos showed up and left or died waiting.I have never been so disappointed with this system than now and really feel that it's all over now with the exception of a few stragglers here and there. I took a peek in the hatchery yesterday and there is no way as near as many fish as there should be and the ones in there are black and red. They've been there awhile! for awhile I was hoping that the run was later and they would finally show up but absolutely nothing coming in on the lower end at all and even the seals have moved on. does anyone else feel the same?

Hotrod
Hey Hotrod..I know you're on the water quite a bit locally...

You'll get no argument from most of the industry professionals locally, and anyone stating different has probably had a few too many brews.

The Cohos were a total no show relative to what should have happened.

The mature Springs and Coho were a disappointment...and when they did show..it was quiet relative to past years..and the run peaked in November.

However, there were two bright spots this year that come to mind for me personally.

1. This past winter spring fishery was bar none the best fishery I can remember in years...in late Feb., March, April, and through the first half of May (it did taper off). I was at the point where if you got a chance to head out---in 5 hours, you should have had your limit of legal fish, and when the undersize fish cleared out, during one two week period, everything that hit was a legal fish. I remember heading out with Dad in the 3rd week of April and we had 3 fish in an hour between 9 and 12 lbs...

However, it was quite consistent (if you had any clue what you were doing), and if you got skunked for legal sized keepers---it was rare---and on the average there was at least 2 to be had per boat per trip.

The most effective locales were in the outer half of English Bay to the QA, and towards May-the slash.

2. The Sockeye fishery----well..hate to say it..but this fishery overall wasn't that consistent---however it did get better as the season progressed....at which point it was Sockeye fever----and you had to run far---and the best fishing was off the Sandheads lightship. However, they did venture as far north as English Bay once and you could've slammed 'em hard.

At any rate, Hotrod...this salmon season was a disappointment---and I know that other places on the coast had sub par years relatively speaking.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I'm still holding out, cause tomorrow I am going to nail a couple more..... :wink: Ortho 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Was there all day Thursday morning on the lower end, beautiful day and very nice water conditions, just a little coloured up, fished 2 hours today and nothing...so yes, I'll have to agree with hotrod, very disappointing, I remember this same time last year you couldn't keep those chrome springs off your hook.

Consulation?...6 more weeks and its winter steelhead season! Let's hope for a good one.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a tease Ortho! :D I'm going hunting tommorrow for some action where I'm pretty sure there will be no one and hopefully alot of fish! Oh yeah and I'm picking up a wack of chum roe for winter fishing and for next spring and summer!

Hotrod

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I'll be callin' ya..............Just get a pic of the 20lb. 'ho, OK.....I know it's still in the system, or did you catch it last week??... :wink: .....Ortho 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts