BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as though it was going to be very hot this Canada Day long weekend, I packed up my Super Cat pontoon, sleeping bag and cooler and headed for the cooler climes. My destination was Dobbin Lake, about a 45 -minute drive from Westbank, BC, and about 1450 metres in elevation. I was to meet up with two other couples and spend a couple of days camping and fishing. I left home at 2:30 pm and sometime around 6:00 pm I realized I was lost. After backtracking I discovered where I went wrong and arrived at Dobbin at 6:45 p.m. only to find every single camping spot spoken for. We decided to head south to Jackpine Lake and there too, all the spots taken. By this time it was 8:00 p.m and I had enough driving for one day. I told my group that I was staying to fish and that I would hook up with them later, wherever that might be. I tied on a deer hair sedge pattern to my floating line and a deer hair with sparkle green shrimp pattern to my sinking line and started to troll. The water was a very warm 66 degrees! With all the fish rising, I thought my sedge would be hit first but to my surprise a beauty 20-inch rainbow slammed my shrimp in about 15 feet of water. After a decent battle and one spectacular jump, I had the fish at the boat. As I was taking a picture, the fish twisted and snapped my leader taking my only deer hair shrimp. I quickly ditched the camera, grabbed the fish and got my fly back. Then it was released. It turns out I didn’t need to worry so much about losing the shrimp as that was the only fish I stuck with it for the evening as well as the next morning. I proceeded to have a blast dry fly fishing the rest of the evening however. There were plenty of fish played and released all between 12 and 16 inches. I packed it in about 10:00 p.m. and drove to Bear Lake where I found the rest of my group. We settled in for the night and at 6:00 am the next morning I drove the 20 minutes back to Jackpine to try the morning bite. The fishing was tough but we managed a couple. A great couple of days we had!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.