BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first season of Steelheading, and today was my 3rd day. I finally hooked into my first steelhead, what an experience! I casted into a nice current seam about 10 ft off shore, saw my float dart down, and assumed it was a snag. I set the hook anyways, and realized it was a fish once my float started moving. The fish darted along the surface of the water for about 10 ft, and put up a decent fight. It turned out to be a beautiful chrome hatchery buck.

I took it home and weighed it (after gutting it at the river), and to my surprise it still weighed in at 17 lbs! According to the weight calculator, it weighed approx 20 lbs (based on some online weight estimator using length and girth) The length was 36 inches, and the girth was 21 inches. Not sure what the exact weight is...Not bad for my first Steelie! :thumbup:

Here is the pic:

[attachment deleted by admin]

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Re: Vedder River - January 13th (My first Steelhead)

Wow!.. :eek:..You'r gonna make a lot of rookies very jelous!!. ;).......What a slug!.....Nice going Tim'........Ortho 8)

· Banned
279 Posts

tim5371 said:
This is my first season of Steelheading, and today was my 3rd day. I finally hooked into my first steelhead, what an experience! I casted into a nice current seam about 10 ft off shore, saw my float dart down, and assumed it was a snag. I set the hook anyways, and realized it was a fish once my float started moving. The fish darted along the surface of the water for about 10 ft, and put up a decent fight. It turned out to be a beautiful chrome hatcher buck.

I took it home to weigh (after gutting it at the river), and to my surprise it weighed in at 17 lbs! According to the weight calculator, it weighed approx 20 lbs! The length was 37 inches, and the girth was about 20-21 inches. Not bad for my first Steelie! :thumbup:

Here is the pic:
Nice fish i was the kid who talked to you as you were walking out. That pic doesn't do the fish justice its an easy 15

· Registered
940 Posts

kingpin said:
im not a critic im a realist.. and by the way i heard from a buddy who was there that is was weighed on the river at 15lbs.
Thanks Scales!

Nice looking fish! You've set the bar pretty high for yourself on your first fish. can't wait to see the fish you get that tops your first one! Good Job!

:thumbup:

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts

Hey Tim awesome fish buddy!!! Don't let the nay sayers get you down, Congrats on the first fish man...good on ya!!!

I wouldn't even try to stick my neck out there and doubt the weight of anyones fish based just on a picture. That would just leave me open to looking bad, if not even just coming across as negative...

So don't let anyone bother you, great fish! :thumbup:

rib

· Registered
2,676 Posts

kingpin said:
im not a critic im a realist.. and by the way i heard from a buddy who was there that is was weighed on the river at 15lbs.
Realist or not, there's no need to rain on someones parade. Especially on their first steelhead. Somtimes things are best left un said.

Finder :cheers:

· Registered
894 Posts

im not raining on his parade.. im just voicing my opinion that is backed up by the fact he told birdman he weighed it at 15 and suddenly its 5lbs heavier...

· Registered
1,519 Posts

kingpin said:
im not raining on his parade.. im just voicing my opinion that is backed up by the fact he told birdman he weighed it at 15 and suddenly its 5lbs heavier...
If this is true then why do you have to raise a stink about it? This statement by you is a contradiction in itself!
You young guys have already rained on his parade! :naughty:

If there is one thing that I know about and that 's pics never do a fish justice. They always appear smaller on camera than what they actually are.A good case in point was last season Bent rod posted a pic and asked if anyone could guess the weight he would send them a jig package.It was a nice fish and most of the guesses came in 3-5 lbs short of what it exactly was. And ther was alot of bickering about who was right and who was losing there minds or had to give there head a shake because there was no way it was anymore than 10 lb. I took a look and said the exact weight was 13 lbs maybe a little more than that. Guess what I was right and then we never heard anything from the hecklers any more and Bent rod promptly sent me a beauty jig package in the mail! Good one rod Thanks!

What is the reasoning behind chastising his report? Do you feel better now?...totally not cool guys!

Perhaps he was wrong at the river and re-weighed it at home at it came out to 17 lbs. I have caught many 20-25 lb steelhead in my days and got pics to prove it and they all look exactly like the pic posted in this report. I believe he is right on the money!

TIM! THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE BEAUTY 20 LB'ER! Good on ya dude and keep your head up man :cheers:

Hotrod

· Registered
691 Posts

Great looking fish, and great report.

Keep it up and keep us posted

· Registered
1,199 Posts

Maybe the fish was retaining water :happy: Really though - who cares - I think the smile says it all! Awesome! Hey one question - how can you tell if its a buck or a doe?

· Registered
894 Posts

pretty easy.. does have a shorter smaller head and nose.. while bucks head elongates and its long and sometimes has a kipe too.. some bucks have a snakeish head too

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

WOW! What a controversy!

I weighed it on the river with an old rusty scale that I haven't used in over 10 years - and it weighed 15 lbs according to that.

I took it home, and weighed it on my bathroom scale after I gutted it, and it was 17 lbs. I have no reason to lie about that. Here is a picture of the fish at home.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.