BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Jigs can be effective for any species, baited or not you have to learn how to fish them effectively! Especially coho, try purple/pink combos, they love them!

I also remember an article in BC OUtdoors a few years back about jig fishing for coho on the skeena. They did quite well with pink and blue jigs.

I'll tell you like everyone else though, buck up for the good hooks! Most jigs are made with very low quality hooks that will bend and snap on you when you hook into a bigger fish. Find jigs made with Gammy or Owner hooks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
trav is definately right about not cheaping out on the jig hooks. most are very poorly made and bend so easy I dont know how one would use them. the owner's are my favourite.

btw yg, i dont think you answered barskull's comment in your last post

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Dear cody and barskull.

Bait is king, straight roe is by far my favourite, but when tipping jigs with it, evne if u have good bait its more important to have the right jig, thats is what i was poking at with my previous post

·
Banned
121 Posts
the best jigs are first bite jigs from oregon state, or the canadian bent rods. both are hand made with quality hooks and materials. but neither work for coho in my experiences. If you're not lazy like me, you can tie your own jigs quite easily with a vice and some feathers.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
i wont spend money on a jig when i know i can tie it myself, no offence to the tiers, rod is a great guy, with tons of knowledge, and even though i cant remember his name the owner of firstbite is a super cool dude. Only jigs i've ever bought were of the KRAMER variety, check him out, the guy who invented the rubber legged jig, or atleast brought it into the steelhead fishery. I love his soft plastics alot aswell. (kramer tackle and guide!)

·
Registered
956 Posts
stevensonsteelheader said:
I could see coho reacting better to a "twitched" jig then one fished under a float, considering coho are followers when it comes to spoons and spinners.
I've caught many on jigs while twitching. It works very well!!!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
i haven't got one on twitched jigs yet, but have gotten 2 float fishing them. The conditions haven't been the right ones to twitch, but when float fishing them they worked. I was standing on a rock out cropping in the canyon on the chehalis and had probably 6 or 7 fish bellow me. (it was low and fairly clear) And with the first pass over them i could see one just getting twitchy, aggitated, and then with the second pass he completely rolled on it. He weighed in at around 10-12lbs. Colours where pink in the back and black over the top, palmered rabbit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
twitching jigs for coho can be a lot of fun & very productive!!!!! Some things to think about when twichin are find frog water, watch your line because most strikes come on the fall, and jig the rod vertical straight up and down.

RD

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.