BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading an excellent report on using jigs to catch all sorts of fish i thought i'd break the ice and ask the question! What is the proper way to fish jigs under a float? Do you set it up just like as if you were fishing roe with a barrel swivel and lighter leader line? or tie it directly to your mainline under a float? I'm over a month away from getting my hand cast off so i thought i would get an idea on how it's done! Maybe i should visit bent rods website as well witch i will do but till then i'd like to hear some feedback please! Thanks!

CK

· Registered
1,160 Posts
I always use a typical float fishing set up.

Even on tiny flows in summer, the standard float set up is my favorite.

Downsizing float, splitties,swivel, leader and jig is recommended during spooky situations, but stick with the standard float fishing set up.

my :2cents:

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Jigs can be a great tool for drift fishing. One of the biggest advantages is they fish straight up and down under your float.

Picture this, your fishing a roe bag or piece of wool on a leader, now obviously these items are not heavy, so what tends to happen is they are more inclined to be influenced by the water current and thus drift laterally or side to side around your weight. Thus in order to precisely fish individual current seams and such, you need to be very good at controlling your drifts. Even then, I find I fish specific seams with a few drifts rather than just one or two and move on.

With the jig, you know exactly where your hook is and whether or not you are drifting it through the water you want within a few inches, rather than within the length of your leader as with lighter terminal items. I highly recommend the jig as a search tool for steelhead and salmon alike.

To answer you question ck, I like to fish the jig on a leader below a weight, but as steely points out, they work either way.

I have fished jigs periodically over the years, and with success, but in the early season when fish are less plentiful, I feel the jig is a great way to search out sparse fish in precise lies.

Good luck out there to anyone fishing jigs, make sure they are of solid construction if you are going to fish them. Bent rods jigs fit the bill quite nicely.

Don't forget the other terminal items also have their time and place,

Rib

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bent Rod said:
I always use a typical float fishing set up.

Even on tiny flows in summer, the standard float set up is my favorite.

Downsizing float, splitties,swivel, leader and jig is recommended during spooky situations, but stick with the standard float fishing set up.

my :2cents:
You know what after checking out your web site and from ribs advise as well and seeing the proof i'll definatly give my 6 jigs i got a try and of coarse they are bent rod jigs after hearing the horror stories about other jigs i'll stick to the best on the market bent rod jigs! I've had a few in the vest for quite some time now but never bothered to use them! Time to change that! Thank you all for the info on how to fish jigs! Once my finger is out of this lil cast i'll give em a go! One more month till it's at leat %80 healed Just don't want to slip on wet or snow covered rocks and land on it once again! Thats how i broke it in the first place! :wallbash:

CK

· Registered
648 Posts
geez young gun, don't give away all of the secrets! :-X split shot is better in my mind for jigs, as you can adapt quickly when you change to a lighter, or heavier jig.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
oh oh, who mentioned another jig outfit other than Bent Rods? dont know much about them but i can say the jigs i recieved from Rod sure look good and look well made. i know when you dont fish them properly they grap the rocks reel good.

· Registered
64 Posts
Agree...Bent Rod Jigs look good and obviously work real well. First Bit is just another good product from a small 'mom and pop' outfit that needs support like most of the little guys.

My last visit to the Cabela's store in Lacey and the various Outdoor Warehouse stores confirms this...$1.39 jigs are just that...$1.39 jigs...bad hooks, bad wraps and poor quality materials. Even the Beau Mac guys have become very commercial and seem to be cutting some corners to compete in the box stores.

Will be looking to order some Bent Rod Jigs ASAP as I like the 'head' component...anything PINK for the Stamp.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking on giving the few bent rod jigs i have a go on a few local flows close to home , but i have anouther question! I need to know how to fish these jigs proper in slower moving flows? Do i need a float to fish them properly? For those who know me they know what flows i'm talking about! Shhhhhhh ;D ;) the success i've had in these streams i have only used a 7 ft medium rod should i switch to a lighter jig for slower water? and should i use a float to fish them properly or can i use without one? I only ask so many questions because i've seen the success of these jigs on other flows but i want to have some success stories of my own! Thanks

CK

· Registered
1,160 Posts
I would just use the normal float fishing set up, used on all rivers and suggest using some darker patterns or some natural looking ones, if fishing very clear small flows.

I have taken steelhead in all the smaller flows on jigs and guys who fish the "local" flows as they have become known, use jigs and are having good success.

As for the 7 ft rod, that is just a personal choice, I prefer a longer rod on all flows, for float fishing, if you want to use a light one, I suggest a "noodle" style rod, just my 2 cents.

· Registered
64 Posts
Agree with Bent Rod for sure...but maybe look at the plastic or balsam floats...

They do react nicely on real slow flows...you can feel/see the delicate hits much easier....Drennan seem to be the popular plastic on the island. I also use Thill balsam floats and Steelhead Stalker also make a good balsam. Certainly more money but you don't lose many anyway.

I also went away from Pencil lead and now use split shot instead...the guys in the real know say this stops the helicopter effect.

Enjoy

· Registered
909 Posts
When fishing jigs instead of tieing the jig directly to the leader can you attach a snap swivel so you can change styles or colors with out having to retie, or does this alter the presentation. Never fished jigs before so just trying to get as much input as poss before rather than wasting time and developing a sour att. toward them cause they dont work the way I rigged them.
Cheers,
Crazy D

· Registered
64 Posts
Never done the swivel thing...the guy who introduced me to jigs has fished them for a long time in Oregon and simply reties just like changing flies.

It might change the action somewhat but unless seen underwater not sure...would certainly give it free action.

My advice...think fly fishing at the start and tie directly...then maybe experiment with the swivel idea. This also guarantees fresh-tight knots at a regular interval.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just picked up a 11 ft hmx spin casting rod used off craigslist line weight 8-15 lbs i'm thinking perfect for the streams close by1 i was thinking the 7 footer was a lil short and now i need a lil reel to go with it to give these jigs a try! Cant wait for the waters around here to drop a bit and clear up so i can give em a go!

CK

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.