BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to build another smaller boat for now, but this one will have very few extras in the boat. I want to see how light I can make a 8 foot x 42 inch pram, it will still have some nice finishes.

after this one I will be starting on a cedar strip boat ,but for now I need a beater to put around in.

I'll try to explain every step as I go ,so you will be able to do this at home....trust me its easy.

Most of you will rember the last build , I was very happy with the way the hull turned out. I figured the easiest way to copy it was to lay a piece of poly over the other boat and trace with a felt pen....

after I had it all taped in place I marked out oar locations....this will be ok for a 200 lber like me.

getting ready to chop her out....

more to come .....stay tuned.

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be much more than $100 beans if you already have the oars.

Marko

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the last boat cost me about 350-400 $ ...the most expensive part is the epoxy, and fiberglass resin.

the 350-400$ was including the 9 foot clear oak 2 inch by 4 inch planks used for the trims...

this boat will be getting less storage inside....so it will be lighter and cheaper.

the last one I built.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is awesome! I've been considering doing a project like this for a couple years now just haven't worked up the courage. I have a couple partial plans so far but nothing professional. I'll be watching to give me a little encouragement. What type of plywood are you using? Marine grade?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
starting to glue the sides to the bottom, I find the zap straps hold in to far some places so you need to push out with some wood blocks...these will be temp.

and the work on the transom...cutting the cap down to 3 thinner pieces makes it easier to bend into place.

more to come...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is awesome! I've been considering doing a project like this for a couple years now just haven't worked up the courage. I have a couple partial plans so far but nothing professional. I'll be watching to give me a little encouragement. What type of plywood are you using? Marine grade?
you can use a good quality finish grade plywood, as long as its not made in china (chinese plywood can be made with non waterproof glue) everything gets covered with surfboard resin and gell coat later, so everthing is protected.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Looking good Jim...keep the pics comin', I think I might have to make some room in the garage and build one myself...

Nice work...

:cheers:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry for the long pause between posts, fishing has been getting in the way.

Now the hull has taken shape its time to trim the gunnels,stern and bow.

as you can see there are several steps involved in cutting and mounting the trim.

trimming the plywood overlap.....the router is my friend.

the gunnels glued in place, this process takes several clamps.

more to come...

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Excellent play by play Jim,
I've got the hardware and oars from two aged ones I tore down (more work to fix) that call out to me occasionally, telling me it's time.
I got to get off my butt and do this; instead procrastinating about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey just checking back on this thread and wondering if you've made any progress on this build. Would love to see more pictures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts