BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about a 10-12 foot Jon boat, would love to pick up a Harbourcraft Flyfisher but they don't make them anymore. Any suggestions? The Harbourcraft is a bit wider than the Lunds I've seen and I like that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sparky

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey Sparky

Check out this web site it is for TNT Marine they are selling the Spratley brand of Jon boats or fly prams what ever you want to call them. Sea run tackle in Coquitlam also carries them and from what I have seen they look very nice.

http://www.t-n-tmarine.com/products/Spratley/spratley.htm

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
119 Posts
hey sparky, ever thought of getting a zodiac or inflateable like it? i would not trade mine for the world. its perfect to set up and get into the water alone, they can collapse small enough to go under a toneau cover with all you gear(battery, motor, and fishing gear) and way more stable than any flat bottom or aluminum i have ever been in. for small to medium lakes they are the cats ass! more expensive but in the long run, way worth every penny.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The sprately boats do look very nice and the wide bottom is great for stability. I have thought about inflatables myself, but now that I've got my little boat all rigged I wouldn't go into anything else for the price. I went with the 1436, which is almost identical to the 1236 both are a great boat, but could use a little more width in the bottom beam. For myself the advantages of the aluminum outway the cost and abilities of the inflatables. I would caution away from the skinnier aluminums like the 1032 and the 1232 they a more like fat canoes. ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey eimaj

I could not agree with you more I have seen people out fishing in lakes in boats barely wider then their ass. I don't think there is anything worse than being out in a boat that feels like it is going to flip at any second. A few years ago I bought a 15' Coleman canoe and used it twice I just found I was always on edge and couldn't relax and enjoy the fishing. My new boat has a 73" beam and is very stable.

I see that the 12' spratley has a 50" bottom and an overall beam of 55" should make a very stable fishing platform.

My dad switched from his small boat to a twelve foot zodiak and absolutely loves it, and for all the reasons mentioned he has a fifth wheeler and can pack the boat into the front of the pickup box

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ya I own a 12' spratley wide body and let me tell you guys they rock. Got it from Kelly at searun he rigged it out for me sweet job he did as always. But the boat is very sturdy two average size guys can stand on the same side and land fish and not even worry about anything. Plus there welded no rivets just a all round super solid boat. I would recomend one to anyone in my opinon one of the best small lake crafts out there. 8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the price the Spratley is the best boat out there. I've been on Knuckles and that 12 footer is a gem! Kelly did a great job riggin that beauty up. I'm 235 lbs and Knucks over 2 hundo and she was real sturdy.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think folks get hung up on which boat is best. Really it's about matching the boat to what you need, and getting it to fit into a budget ;)

For myself, I love jon boats. They are flatbottom strong little boats. The flat bottom makes them very steady in the water when standing up or moving around. They also get on plane at lower speeds with less power, and can hold more weight. They are great for flyfishing from, and when combined with a jet make for a very handy little boat. Keep in mind they are only this good when made wide enough and with a decent thickness of metal.

they draw backs are when waves are encountered, if you have a flat nose boat they really don't like any real waves, so you can opt. for a modified hull, which has a slight v to the front. Still they tend to slap waves of any real size.

For myself I run a little 1436 jon boat that putt's me around just fine. I can do about 32Mph on the river with 2 nromal sized guys in it, and I can take waves in around the 3ft mark, I have done bigger, but really shouldn't be done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.