BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I heard a post on another forum..can't remember which one, but somebody said there was a sign at the bottom which said, "closed for season" and he thought it said due to high snow pack. The post was about a week ago. I think it is just closed for the winter,spring "season" and hopefully will open soon. BC Hydro runs the show at the lake and would probably give you a more detailed answer.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I went up to Jones Lake 3 days ago, and the water level is very low therefore no boat launch available due to the fact thatn shoreline is to muddy even for a 4 wd, and there is still a couple feet of snow on the sides of the road and in the trees, i imagine the only way you could fish it is with a belly boat or canoe right now for ther next couple weeks

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
hey Jamie, check with freds before going to chilliwack lake as i tried last weekend again the boat lanch was closed due to high water at the launch. seen the sign this time at on the way store and confirmed with freds.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too much water at one lake, too little water at another... :wallbash: It's like the fishing God's are against us! I guess its that transition time of year where you have to have patience.

Thanks for the info on the two lakes, I've never fished in the Merrit area, so maybe its time for a short road trip on Friday.

Jamie

·
Registered
116 Posts
The fishing for trout (can't speak for the Kok's) when the water is low is usually very good. Also a better chance for one of those triploid Cutthroat in the lake. Concentrates them more.

Jones (Wahleach) Lake has a 2 fish limit with no fish under 40 cm (15-3/4"). I'm not sure why the regs allow you to kill the larger fish in this lake.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
4x4 said:
The fishing for trout (can't speak for the Kok's) when the water is low is usually very good. Also a better chance for one of those triploid Cutthroat in the lake. Concentrates them more.

Jones (Wahleach) Lake has a 2 fish limit with no fish under 40 cm (15-3/4"). I'm not sure why the regs allow you to kill the larger fish in this lake.

Just my guess, but I think the larger fish would be triploids and not therefore not brood stock.

·
Registered
116 Posts
professori said:
4x4 said:

Just my guess, but I think the larger fish would be triploids and not therefore not brood stock.

As far as I know the only Triploids in the lake are the Cutthroat. The Bows are naturally reproducing. There are some bigger Bows in Jones, 16" plus but way more 12"-14" fish.
Imo,I'd like to see a c&r on the Cutthroat and bigger Rainbows and let the under 15 3/4" be the food fish. This lake has potential to grow some big fish with it's large Stickleback, Sculpin, Crayfish and Kokanee numbers (very similar conditions to the Powell River area). It would be cool to have the opportunity to fish for large Bows and Cutthroat (heard of a few 6-8 lbers coming out of Jones the last few years) close to home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.