BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Bella Coola River on July 30th.

Pinks and Chums were running. The Chinook run was ending. Had 5 hookups. One big one peeled off all of my 20lb test line from my spinning reel and then snapped the line when it reached the end. One salmon and one trout/dolly spit the hook. In the end, I was able to land one pink and one dolly varden. The pink was really powerful. It turned out to be a 3lb+ pink but it fought like a 10-15lb chum that I thought was going to snap my line again. Much more fight from these pinks than the fresh Fraser & Campbell River pinks that I've caught in the past.

All fish were caught on green wool.

Bella Coola River

Fresh Pink

Above the Bailey Bridge

Fisheries Pool, Atnarko River

Belarko, Atnarko River. A snorkeller told me that there were schools of huge chinooks down there. Chinook fishing was closed on the Atnarko.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
you sure that's not a sockeye? Doesn't look very spotted and is rather blue. Can't see the tail well, though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yup. Without a doubt. It was pink season. Bella Coola/Atnarko River has the 3rd largest pink run in BC and everyone there that night were catching the same fish (along with chum and trout). The guy who helped me land the fish, unhooked it, and handed it to me agreed it was a pink. It looks just like all the pinks I've caught from the tidal Fraser river.

http://www.northwestflyfisherman.com/pinksalmon.htm

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Great report and pictures Sam, the BC/Atnarko are amazing flows and any trip over the hill is worth wile.

I was up there last fall and the coho fishing was amazing, looking forward to going back some day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Pat. I did see your fishing report from last year. I thought it was very cool that you got to fish alongside the Grizzly Bears. :)
Unfortunately, I heard that the salmon run has been poor again in Bella Coola this year. On top of that, they experienced a huge flood this year that washed out lots of the highways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts