BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm glad the DFO finally posted the opening date! I usually head over to Sechelt to fish for lings...any other good places? I'm from Vancouver and we always make it a family trip to head over to Sechelt...but it'd be nice to be able to go more often if there were closer locations that didn't require ferries!

·
Registered
816 Posts
but it'd be nice to be able to go more often if there were closer locations that didn't require ferries
That's the hole reason for the closures. Last year we caught one off the Cap. Would love to see a slought limit (50 to 70cm) put on, saves the big old girls and keep few more of the rats. There was a good link on here years ago to study on ling reproduction and it showed the big one could have as many as 1000 times more eggs than a first time spawner.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was guiding in the Charlottes earlier this week and one boat nabbed a 60lb plus ling....big bellied female....the guide was able to give conservation lesson to his guests and the ling went back to the deep..... had some really good 30 lbers though....

can tell you the salmon fishing stunk....38 guests....4 days of fishing and only 16 nooks.....

hope they are just slow coming in...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In spite of the nasty wind around Victoria today, Charlibrown and I made it out in the small inflatable to hunt early season bucket mouth. Along with a big green ling and lots of decent rockfish, we boated one legal ling cod. It was only legal because of the reduced size limit, but a very tasty fish. Fortunately, we were fishing in shallow water, so all those rockfish could be released. When the weather comes down I will be out at some more productive spots that hold some bigger fish. And with any luck, some salmon might come within my range before long too....
If anyone is in the mood to share a productive ling spot, I will gladly share where I was in exchange, over the PM, of course. ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you are fishing deeper water looking for Lings, and don't want the incidental rockfish, bring the line up 5 or 6 feet from bottom. Don't fish right on bottom and you will catch far mor ling than rockfish. Fishing a little higher off bottom will still catch lots of fish. Just a tip for those looking for some Ling, but don't want to incidentally kill rockfish.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another technique we use up north when you get tired of Snapper and you want Ling is to drop on the bottom. Then real in 10 turns fast. Count 5 steamboats then do it again...count 5 again and do it again...if no hits...back to the bottom...do that 4 or 6 times...if no lings.....move....and start over....

when fishing in 200-300ft its a pain to always have Snapper on the line the instant it hits bottom...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are some good ideas for sparing rockfish. Good to see a couple of others are also into lings. It's fun to have a standby species that's pretty much guaranteed when salmon aren't happening. I have sure been doing well though. Fishing shallow with bait.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.