BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am with Berg on this one... I am not even close to an activist - but this was nauseatingly appalling!! Got my signature... :-\

·
Registered
648 Posts
It makes you ashamed to be a human. The Japanese have got to be told that the ocean is not their Sushi bar. The fact that these are highly intelligent and social beings make this slaughter all the worse.SIGN THE PETITION!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Very disturbing. Petition signed, but it really t's me off that such a doccument is even needed to stop such a vulgar display as this. Simply brutal.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Before I watched the video I thought to myself, how bad could it really be. After watching it, I literally felt myself begin to get a twisted gut.

I can not believe that is what goes on over there. That is truly appalling. What are they thinking? Or not thinking for that matter?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Truly disturbing. Dolphins are mammals, not fish. They are considered the second most intelligent species on the planet, next to humans, although by this display, that is debatable. I am embarassed for the human race, and cannot fathom the complete lack of consideration involved. Sure we are at the top of the food chain and have a long history of exploiting natures resources for human consumption, but the terrible treatement of these beautiful creatures is sickening. I saw no effort towards any humane or quick method of dispatching their catch. Only an apathy and bloodlust that makes those who partake in such "fisheries" look really, really bad.

I am a pretty calm and passive guy, but when I watched this video, and particularly that fat old man slicing a live dolphins throat and then jumping back so as not to get too much blood on himself, and then going in to cut some more, I felt such a rage and violent anger that if I were there, it would take all my will not to attack him and give him a taste of his own disgusting actions.

Even here in Canada, with our seal hunt, despite all the protests from countries and groups around the world, at least those seal hunters have the presence of mind to kill the seal before dicing it up.

The images shown in this video are so disgusting and barbaric that I feel sick. I look at the actions of those in the video, and perceive that nation with a new found mistrust and lack of respect. The Japanese government should consider such issues before allowing them to tarnish the image of the country with the actions of a select minority. I know this is unrealistic to expect at best, but the statement it makes is repulsive, and even more compounded by these "fishermen" taking advantage of the dolphins familial loyalty and protective instinct by cutting some of their catch to keep the other dolphins from swimming off.

I cannot fathom the reasoning behind such activities. What's worse is the blind eye turned by many countries, including ours, due to feared negative repercussions economically and politically. Just because we have a great deal of economic dealings, it shouldn't supersede our sense of decency and humane treatment of intelligent animals.

I would like to find out what the official government stance on such "fisheries" is, both in our country, Japan, and others around the world. It would be interesting to see what the world has to say about this. Maybe those condemning our seal hunts, might take an interest in this too. It would at least lend some credibility to their somewhat Hollywood style cause...

·
Registered
25 Posts
If this fishery does not get shut down you can be sure the people supporting it by eating the meat will all die of mercury poisoning.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
900,083 Signatures Total so far i signed it as well. Oh my god that was disturbing to say the least! I am not gonna show the wife that, she would be in tears! I recomend everyone who hasn't sighned it to do so as soon as possible! :mad: :mad: :mad:

C.K.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Both the better half and I are in. Couldn't agree with you more Rib. As I watched the video I was more appalled at the fact they started gutting and deheading these cousins of ours while they are still alive. Maybe the 2nd most inteligent is a under rating. I dont know anyone who wouldn't be moved by this clip, pretty sad really in this day and age to still treat any creature like that :'(
Crazy D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Appalling,,,,its a sad statement of mankinds ability to slaughter without regard to suffering. At first I felt shocked and angry towards this single act but as it settled in I thought of the endless wars and how we commit unfathomable acts towards our brother on a daily basis around this planet. Makes one think and wonder what our destiny is with such attitudes towards each other and towards nature.

Its my hope that collectively people like us on this board can make a difference.

signed.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sorry in advance for writing this but ...

Maybe what's equally disgusting is that 216 people have come to this site topic so far. Of that just out or curiosity most would have probably viewed the video. I cannot believe that only 16 have commented on how awful it was and/or signed the petition.

Cmon people it's not like anyone is asking for a lenghty amount of your time here. If this is concensus of how many care it's no wonder that this is allowed to continue.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
612 Posts
That video left me feeling rather ill, sign the petition folks..
Spread it around to your contacts and post it on any other forums you frequent.
Talk about a slow agonizing death.....
Ignorant people who are total disrespect of these beautiful creatures..

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well done Darmin, I did same few months ago at one of the Croatian fishing forums..........big response!!!!!!!!!!

DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts