BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KEEPING YOUR CATCH FRESH AND NO FREEZER BURN
Just a quick note that might help some
keeping your fish fresh and no freezer burn ---- well for us --we wrap in double paper towel, then saran wrap then vac pack. the paper towels stop the bones from poking out the rest is self explanatory, it takes up less room than freezing in water hole,
any other Idea's :2cents::2cents: and try and eat as soo as possible.

·
Registered
745 Posts
We vacuum pack ours whole or halved for the bbq..... never had a problem yet, although they seem to disappear to fast to freezer burn!

·
Registered
51 Posts
1 cup demmorera brown sugar 1 cup soya sauce in a ziplock baggie the liquid appears to prevent freezer burn as you thaw out the filet the liquid is drawn into the meat yummy on the barbeque

·
Registered
111 Posts
I fillet my fish into dinner size pieces and remove any leftover bones and then vacuum pack them so they are ready to go. Never had any with freezer burn.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
For you guys/gals who vacuum pack at home.......what unit do you use?? I had a foodsaver (not sure what model) and the bags I had for it were crap. They didn't seal really well as there was air in the packages after a couple of months.

I am going to invest in one this winter but not sure of what are the better models to look at. I do know I will make sure that I get the heavier grade bags....those thin ones (can't recall the thickness) were crap.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I just picked up a really nice foodsaver one at London drugs on sale for $89. It was regularly $149. A great unit for a great price.

·
Registered
853 Posts
For you guys/gals who vacuum pack at home.......what unit do you use?? I had a foodsaver (not sure what model) and the bags I had for it were crap. They didn't seal really well as there was air in the packages after a couple of months.

I am going to invest in one this winter but not sure of what are the better models to look at. I do know I will make sure that I get the heavier grade bags....those thin ones (can't recall the thickness) were crap.
Not sure if you bought the foodsaver brand bags but if you didnt I have heard that the quality goes way down with the no name brands. I double seal the ends as well and still have some coho from last year that are in good shape.

·
Registered
708 Posts
A company called ZIP VAC makes the best bags to use. FoodSaver has reduced the thickness down and pin bones poking through can be an issue. Zip Vac offers bags and rolls in what was once the original thickness that Food Saver had. Great bags, heavy duty and slightly cheaper at retail. Hard to find in major chain stores but local tackle shops should have them in stock. I have used them lots this summer and they work great so far on chinook, halibut, coho and sockeye's.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Pippen I think your model is probable ok , like you say the bags sucked. we have the bags from costco 6 rolls $38.00 good buy, most stores bag's $12 -$15 per roll.-----------But just in case, we have the game saver pro never a problem and ever year it get's lots of fish pushed through it. But good bag's are the key.
(It's not always the high priced items that produce the best results .)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts