BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm lost!! First of all I'm a freshie; don't know mutch about salty waters. Second of all I don't know the area. Oh and third, I don't have a boat here... So I need Help. Where, when, how, what kind of bait... I'm looking to go camping/fishing, I figure fresh water would be easier but I'm opened to any sort of fishing and any spicies.

Any help would be great,

Thanks,

Alex

· Registered
1,484 Posts
You're in luck; I spent 13 years in Victoria in the Navy before moving up island and I know the area quite well.

Since you're a freshwater fisher, you might try Langford, Beaver, Elk, Spectacle and Thetis Lakes. All of those lakes hold nice fish and are good for the fly and gear. I saw something last week in the news where a kid pulled a huge bow out of Langford in the range of 8lbs. Just up the highway a bit is the Cowichan River...a favorite for many of us :thumbup:

As for Salt, without a boat you're out of luck, for the most part. Drop into the store at the Oak Bay marina and they'll be able to give you a report. Also try upstairs at Robinson's sporting goods on Broad Street (downtown)...it's like Toys R Us for fishermen :happy:

Are you chucking feathers or dragging gear?

As for camping, there are quite a few spots around Victoria which are good. Provincial parks are certainly good, but there are also some excellent backcountry areas. I suggest you get a copy of the Backroads Map Book for Vancouver Island, if you don't have one already. Goldstream Provincial Park is quite nice, as is the Sooke Potholes park.

If you have any other questions, give me a shout.

· Registered
338 Posts
Hi Garman, welcome to town. There's lots of fishing around here, if you know where to look. If you want some spots of mine, pm me with the type of fishing you want to do. And a word to the wise, if you go to robinsons, maybe buy some hooks or thread, but no big purchases. I have had serious problems dealing with them lately... I think it has something to do with the competitive business environment in town these days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.