BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off let me say hi to all that may read this post.
I am writing this post, to clear up some things and to help others understand what is going on with a lot things that are taking place on our rivers, and with a sport that we all say we love.
I will start by apologizing for some of are rants on this forum about these things. To clarify, this is about the miss treatment of fish in general, and the unfriendly way in which we treat each other, my self included .

# 1-- my wife & I (are not guide haters and are not against guides), we have just run into some really nasty ones as of late.
For the most part the guides we run into are very pleasant and there are a few in there industry that wreck it for them as in all walks of life. Like them we go fishing for the enjoyment, they go for the enjoyment of there clients and to pass on a experience to them of are great resource. ( GREAT FOR THEM, & GREAT FOR ALL OF BC ).
And for this we need to stop all the -------BS-------and we need to show this by treating each other in a more respectful way. Yes we do not own the boat launch, but nether do all you guides.( MOST GUIDES ) come from other areas of the (Fraser valley) that in it's self places more pressure on this tiny boat launch, and when the river gets low & other launches close the pressure is once again doubled or tripled.

We the public have to understand they are just trying to do there jobs & make a living. But they must understand that there are other people that will need to use the launch and that they might not have the same knowledge & skills to handle launching in such a small area with so many boats around.
When I launch my boat I park my truck then get in my boat and leave, takes about five minutes.
But when you all launch your boats you park on the side and leave no room for others
I would like to make a suggestion to all of you, and it is only a suggestion, why could you not meet your clients at a location down the road and when they all show up you proceed to the launch and you could be on your way with in minutes. Your clients would be ready on the dock you could launch and tie your boat up park your truck and off you go less congestion and or less room for altercations for you & your clients to deal with.
Parking on the side tying up leaders and roe bags----- I would think the night before or when out on the water would work just as well and cause no issues at the launch, as most say be ready when you launch that would work for all.
Me and the wife say hi to every one at the launch and help others if needed with holding the boat even for just a second but yet just to be friendly it never hurts,----- the (bad and grumpy attitudes) have to go for all parties involved we would rather chat and have a laugh about things then be miserable not a good start to the day.

Now as for handling the fish, most and all of you know how to handle them and getting the great photo is what it is all about for sturgeon and that's great to promote this fishery.
But for the salmon a great pic is still nice but the handling is just as important----- so for all lets all try and handle them with respect pics or no pics clients or no clients the fish need us to do this for them.
This post is not intended to piss any (one user group) off nor is it a bash on any (one user group) rather just a suggestion on topics that have reared there ugly heads as of late-----Please think of my boat launch suggestion----you could be surprised it may work out for all of us, because as you all know parking and launching is slim at times.
I would like to thank you all that had a read of this post, as we are all better than what has bin shown as of late.
Please pm me if there are any issues or questions regarding this post:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
that is why we try to get in as fast as we can and tye up down the street..
it's just common sense and being thoughtful to others..

·
Registered
483 Posts
Did you see the guy who pulled up as i was lining up my boat to the trailer?He left me maybe 6 inches to get it on the trailer .I just wanted out of there for a rookie that kind of scene is a little bit hard on the ole nerves:)!That is until my buddy told he might want to move it a bit as im a rookie:)He did and i managed to get it on the try:)

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
??Wonders how easy it would be to convert the Albion Ferry docks into boat launches either side of the river??:2cents:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I wonder what ever happened to the idea of putting in a boat launch at Matsqui Trail Park .............. what a perfect location and lots of room for parking.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your spot on GoFish we have looked at it and you could most defenitly place 3-4 nice ramps and have lots of parking as the area we looked at is seldom used plus any one out in that park would like to whach the boats and even see some big fish come in----I know money is an issu but with all us boaters we could come up with some fundraisers some how???

but common sense would still have to be used

·
Registered
29 Posts
Boat launch etiquette is aways a hot topic. We trailer our boat on the Shuswap so are regular users at the Blind Bay public launch through the summer. The number of gong shows and ass hats we see in a season is unbelievable. We don't get worked up any more though, as they will eventually learn (or not) when they trash their $90,000 wakeboard boats because they were misbehaving or hammered. Generally the majority are quite polite and courteous, but there are always a few... I now see it as more amusement than a stressor. When an obvious rookie is struggling a bit i always offer to help out, as i know when i first started boating, the whole busy boat launch experience was not fun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I try hard to miss the busy times and stay out of the way of obvious ramp rookies at the ramps I use but that is not always possible. When I see some of the activity at the launch I sometimes wonder how these people haven't killed themselves already or gotten stranded on the river overnite. One thing I find is that the river launches have less numpties (idiots) than I find at lake launches in the summer. Pencildc has it right that the wakeboard boats and the other summer only boaters are the most fun to watch. Best thing is, smile, say thank you (even if you don't mean it) and try really hard not to laugh out loud until you get back into the truck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Too many damn boats on the rivers these days anyways throwing your wakes at us shore-walkers...at least on the one I frequent...glad to hear you boaters are facing some hardship before heading out to roar up/down the rivers.:p

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have not had any terrible experiences on the launches that I use...maybe it's the times that I use them. Generally I try and avoid the launch first thing in the morning. I may have to park my car down the road but at least its always a pleasant experience. Mosty people are willing to help, (as I have done) if it is needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I try to be as polite and curteous as possible at boat launches for two reasons.
1. It's not worth getting in a fight when you're trying to have a relaxing day.
2. Most importantly I don't want to leave my truck in a parking lot in the middle of no where while I boat off somewhere with somebody upset with me. Sucks to come home to flat tires and key marks in your paint job.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Let me relate to a little incident. Alberta guy on the dock ask about fishing, local super expert guide, best there is and every will be, tells him if he wants to learn about fishing here he will have to pay for it, after all his expert super hero experiance does not come for free. Makes Mr Alberta feel like an idiot, super hero guide struts off down dock. Newbie guide (me), thinks this guy feels like crawing under a rock I gives the guy a couple of Anchovie rigs and tell him to come over to my boat when he's on the chuck and I'll tell him the depth and he can go for it. He comes to Masset every year and we have become good friends.

Alberta guy belongs to the Edmonton game and fish association, he knows lots of people and he continues to refer friends and association members to me. The charters from his referals alone would most likley have paid for my boat.

Bottom line I guess if you think your a proffesional guide then you should act like it in all situations. Being an instant jerk takes almost no effort, acting like a pro and a gentleman isn't that much harder and it sure promotes your business.

Just my thoughts....

Bret

·
Registered
36 Posts
hey Bret love your story, polite is always better even if you don't get rewarded like you did but those who are never polite will never get your experience of finding great friends. I know why you did it though, he was from Alberta and had aleady suffered enough. JUST KIDDING :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well said Bret, I for one believe in treating everyone with respect. My favourite is these guides that like come roaring close by me while I am anchored and the there is so much more water they could go through to get to where they are going but it seems like they feel like "well I am a guide and I have a big jet boat and this is my river so screw everyone else" Not all guides are like that most are really cool people but you do get a few that don't represent their profession very well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, for the most part the stereo type of fishing guides is true. they know it all, everyone one else is a chowder, there very secretive to a fault, and think that everyone else on the water should make way for them because their guides, ect, ect. Not all guides are like this, but from the ones ive met over the years in all different fishing styles and locations, I'd say 80% are.
I've guided my self for years up in Rupert and Rivers Inlets and ran into idiots like this all the time. The one thing i can say though, is the 20% that aren't like that make up for all the idiots and are some of the nicest and most down to earth people ive met. There into fishing for all the right reason, to teach people about fishing and let them experience what they love to do, and are fortunate enough to do. 99% of the people in this world have to pay to fish and only a few people get paid to fish.
I now fish strictly for fun and am fortunate enough to get out 50-60 times a year in my boat on the fraser. when ever people have questions about fishing, bait and techniques and im on the docks or the ramps i love to chat and at least give what ever advice i have to others,. if it helps them out, great. Theres a lot of fish out there and such a few number of fishermen in relation. sport fishing isn't the problem.

Fishing supposed to be fun and respectful.

I hear you steelie, someone has to tell ALL boaters, the river is big, when im anchored, either go to the other side of the river and roar by, or slow the @#$% down when you pass an anchored boat at 20 yards.

tight lines..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts