BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that fish are disappearing from our favorite rivers and streams, due to overfishing, poaching and mismanagement. Would it help matters for the long run if fishing in salmon producing rivers was closed for the lifecycle of one salmon, eg 4-5 years? Would this only help 1 run of fish or the whole river? I would certainly be willing to give up river fishing for that time if it would help get numbers back to where they were 10-15-years ago.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have always wondered this myself. Personally I think it would have to be way more than 4-5 years. I think it would need to be 15 + or even more to get cycles back to where you want them. A 4 year closout would help each cycle, but with the way our stocks are now it would take a long time to rebuild numbers.

Even with closing rivers down, I doubt it would help very much if at all. Sea lice from Fish farms, and all the netting in arctic waters are destrying salmon stocks, and unless that stop the stock won't rebound very much at all. Instead of closing it for a period of time, why not keep it open but only for C&R so that we can still get picutres ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
If stocks are to rebound from the present crisis, All fishing, fresh and saltwater around the world
needs to be shut down for a 10-15 years. Almost all species of fish are in trouble.

I think it's too late now.
Every year I see more regulations to the point I'm afraid to put a line in the water fearing
a fine.
Also, there are too many different licenses.
The one that ticks me off is the license to keep a salmon in freshwater.
Could purchase one, fish in my local rivers, which, allow no retention of salmon.
In that case, would I get my money back, I doubt it.
Too many regs is the reason why I gave up hunting.
Just my opinion.
Fly at it, gentlemen.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I too have wondered about this. It would more than likely need to be 3 or 4 cycles and saltwater salmon would need to be closed as well. And why not close commercial and native fisheries too? I know why, its impossible. The natives will always be allowed to fish, and the commercial nets will also have to be fishing as well. The sport fishers have such a small impact on stocks, I think it would make a very small difference to close some salmon producing rivers for 3-4 cycles. Besides, my understanding is that most of the stocks are harmed more in the ocean eg. fish farms, sea lice. Bottom line is, most of the harm is done in the ocean, not by people fishing in rivers. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Closing the rivers might help a bit but the rec fishing allocations are a drop in the bucket. Just remember - the idiots that managed the Atlantic Salmon and Cod stocks into oblivion are managing the Pacific Salmon stocks - do the math! Until the politic are taken out of the equation the Salmon are doomed. I went to a large meeting in Nanaimo and after their scientists gave their recommendations the politicians did exactly what they planned to do - to the detriment of the stocks. I guide on the WCVI and from what i can see, the designation of Chinook and Coho as sport fish priority designationhas gone out the window. In spite of all the warnings and closures down south i havn't seen so many commercial troll openings in 10 years. Over 40,000 Chinooks were taken by trollers off Van Isl this year!! Hows that for management? Sorry for the doom and gloom but i'm making plans to leave the profession after over 20 years. :wallbash:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.