BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy a purist 2040 centerpin reel tomorrow :thumbup: I tried it and it spins great 9even though its new) not sure if its a bushing or bearing but anyway it looks nice. Only problem is that i don't want to ahve to send it back to Redditch (UK) if it breaks!! Does anyone have these reels that could give me some advice and if possible PM me if they want with what they payed for the reel (the one I'm looking at is new but been for sale a long time so not sure what to offer?)
If I don't get this I may spend a little more and get an Islander, but i just love the look and spin on the reel. the drag looks a little sketchy though and that is what I'm worried about breaking!!

Merry Christmas all :cheers:

·
Registered
81 Posts
That reel is a spoked reel and IMO not very ridgid/strong. You MUST use backing or you will warp the spokes and/or spool with straight mono. I have heard from others that it would not likely stand up to strong west coast steelhead. They were pretty popular here in Ontario at one point but the fad has passed. I think you would be much better off with an Islander, they are pretty well bullet proof. Also the JW reels are very light and make it hard to balance out a rod. Not sure which rod you are putting it on though. On the plus side they have awesome start up. The drag your are talking about is a clicker and only meant to be used when moving from one spot to another or rigging up NOT for fighting fish. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Also if you do go with the Islander you are supporting a Canadian business which is a huge plus. I know your prices are higher out west so I would suggest calling around to some shops in Southern Ontario. Mnay places sell them for $299 plus the shipping (+-$15?) so you would save a bunch of money. I bought mine for $308 2 years ago and it had the upgraded Barden bearings and rosewood handles. If you want to go use, you can find them for $250-280 on some of the Ontario fishing forums. Good luck.
Peace
Zach

·
Registered
419 Posts
The drag your are talking about is a clicker and only meant to be used when moving from one spot to another or rigging up NOT for fighting fish. Hope this helps
That drag he is talking about is a small micro drag that puts pressure on the"pin" to slow the spin on the reel

·
Registered
81 Posts
fishin30 said:
The drag your are talking about is a clicker and only meant to be used when moving from one spot to another or rigging up NOT for fighting fish. Hope this helps
That drag he is talking about is a small micro drag that puts pressure on the"pin" to slow the spin on the reel
Hey fishin30

Its just a clicker. It is desigined to stop the reel from free spooling and making a huge birdsnest while you are rigging up or moving from one hole to another. It is not a drag of any kind. It is not adjustable like a "drag" and isn't for trotting either but could be used to if the current speed was just right most likely (never tried that though). Its a pretty fragile clicker too so using it to trott/check would wear it out quickly IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a older JW Young Seldex II. I paid $150 for it used. I have landed on this reel 60-70 lively 15-20lb chum, numerous springs including a couple of 40+lb springs, also numerous coho. I have never ever had a problem with this reel, I have many many reels and I would consider this the most reliable one I have ever owned.

cheers

·
Registered
954 Posts
Barbelface, the info which Fishin30 has given you is correct. The reel has a clicker AS WELL AS a micro adjustable drag on one of the spokes to apply a small amount of pressure on the spool pin to prevent back lashes. It is not a drag as found on level wind, spinning or fly reels. The only centrepin with a drag system which I know of is the Angspec.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i'm now the proud owner of a brand new purist 2040 :happy: can't wait to get some mono spooled onto the backing the reel came with and I'll be out with it on my Sage. Hell of a deal $200 (half price) at island outfitters in Victoria for their boxing day sale. They also had a lamiglass CP rod 10'6" 6-12lb rating which I had a quick play with and am very impressed with, and i'm thinking of going back to get that as well (if i can swing it with the boss). Cheers

On a side note does anyone have a Lamiglass XL06LCP Centerpin rod and can vouch for its quality? I'm not sure 6-12lb is too light for steelhead and small river work....but the rod feels beautiful and sensitive, price is $299 which is less than a Sage though....thanks again guys :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had one of those rods and they are fine for steelhead ,they are a little on the lighter side but i like it that way. I used it more for coho in the end though, as i bought a couple 3106 blanks and built them up for steelhead fishing.
cheers

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
if they have any CP rods in a 3113 this would be a more all round rod for everything from huge springs to smaller coho. most CP guys out here use this or the 10'6" rods. I like the 3113 because its longer and makes drifts alot easier and nicer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a Sage 3113Mb already and was just thinking of dedicating this lighter rod to coho and steelhead on some of the smaller rivers in the area. also it does seem like there is a lot more sensitivity in the Lamiglass. i've ust found out the 10'6" Lcp is discontinued though....

·
Registered
274 Posts
barbelface said:
I have a Sage 3113Mb already and was just thinking of dedicating this lighter rod to coho and steelhead on some of the smaller rivers in the area. also it does seem like there is a lot more sensitivity in the Lamiglass. i've ust found out the 10'6" Lcp is discontinued though....
I have a lamiglas dave vedder model rated 8-12 lb(Light action).And i think is plenty enough for coho and steelhhead in the vedder.I also have the sage 3113mb too(over power),but again is all depend on your fishing style.If you like to horse the fish in right away,then stay with the 3113mb.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.