BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I am looking for any tips on slow trolling Kalamalka Lake's southern area. I am hoping there is a boat launch in the area and some decent fishing... I will be going in a few weeks. Any info would be very appreciated (lures, weight, good spots etc...). I will be trolling without a downrigger.
:cheers:
Cheers

·
Registered
670 Posts
most fishing is done in Woods lake which is attached by a short canal that boats pass threw.
there is a boat launch down the road between the 2 lakes on the woods lake side.
I've only ever caught kokanee but there are rainbows as well.
use a typical kokanee gang troll, or the kokanee apex's. as for depth,
I'm thinking deep, since the weather is so hot.
start with 2 oz. and add as needed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If it is lake trout you are after better to try for them in the spring time. Water is much colder and they come up into the shallower water during that time. Can get them throwing spoons or by trolling during that time period. However in the summer you would probably need a downrigger to get down deep enough.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info - I have fished Wood a few times for Kokanee, although small they go nuts when they see you or the boat!
I'm after something bigger before I spend a few days at Beaver Lake catching 2lb rainbows.... Ideally I'm looking for a nice drop-off near a creek mouth and use a 3-4oz slip weight? Lyman #3-4 or larger Apex with a 20 foot leader for a nice rainbow. Please correct me if I'm going down the wrong path. How far down will a 4oz Gibbs slip weight get you if you are trolling real slow?
Cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry about all the q's - I caught a 4 pound rainbow near the Mill in downtown Kelowna (Okanagan Lake) couple of weeks ago and I'm 'hooked' to say the least....

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Hi Wonderberry,

The Kokanee in Wood Lake are not small, if you can get down deeper below the main school. They are in fact some of the largest Kokanee in the Province. 2 and 3 pound fish are not uncommon.

If you are fishing lakers in Kalamalka please be careful and release the larger females if possible. They really aren't worth keeping foe table fare and do not put up much of a fight when hooked even the ones over 10 pounds. In September you will still need a Downrigger to get to them. Your gear selection looks good. Head to the middle of the lake opposite Crystal Waters Resort and troll east to the cliffs and you might just get lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Greetings all,

I am looking for any tips on slow trolling Kalamalka Lake's southern area. I am hoping there is a boat launch in the area and some decent fishing... I will be going in a few weeks. Any info would be very appreciated (lures, weight, good spots etc...). I will be trolling without a downrigger.
Cheers
I have used leadcore to get down a little further when I didnt have a down rigger, another option might be to get one of those dipsy divers, never tried one, but see then around quite a bit

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys
I will look into dipsy divers and using leadcore - will I need a specific reel or can I just spool it onto mine? I use 8lb Mono...
Thanks for the info on Wood as well, had no idea there were any good sized fish in there (any tips on the best spots?) and I always catch and release, I have a one year old son I would like to take fishing when he's ready and it would be nice if there were some fish left!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I live in Vernon, well atleast I take my days off there and I stay off Wood & Kal. lake in the summer for a couple reasons one being the fishing isn't very good and you seem to be a magnet for drunks on ski boats, I'm assuming they are drunk why else would someone operate a boat that way? If you get on and off the water early you can avoid a lot of issues with other boaters, however this doesn't change the fishing situation. Wood lake pink maggots and a wedding band behind a willow leaf or ford fender, Wood is only 70' at it's deepest. Kal. down deep with a Lyman or jigging both directly out from the rock cut between Kekuli bay (boat launch) and the old lookout.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Wood Lake has some spots that are at least a 100 feet deep.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I guess I haven't been over them yet, though I believe at least the average max depth is 70'. Those 100' spots must be toward the south end? I wish they would get the new boat launch done so I can put my larger boat on the water. Not comfortable in the jon on Wood lake.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like I'm going to settle on Southern Kal after all, then Beaver and finish off with Wood on the way back. Thanks for the tips, anyone know if there is a boat launch in or near Oyama? the only official one I can find is at the prov. park but thats halfway up the lake...

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
You can launch at the gravel boat launch at the east side of Wood Lake at the end of the main road through Oyama but be prepared to get wet as the launch has no pad instead gravel and sand. It's only a two minute boat ride through the channel to Kalamalka Lake from there.

The kokanee fishery on Wood is a first light fishery but you occasionally run into a fish during the day. The last time I was there the schools were 40-60 feet deep in 80-90 feet of water and off the cliffs on the east side southern portion and they were hitting Gulp maggots but real maggots work better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks BGM,

I cant wait to get in there! Drove past Wood and Kal a few days ago, just stunning scenery around Kalamalka. You are all very, very lucky to have this quality of fishing in your backyard. I know its not what it once was but its a damn site better than Europe! By the way, what is the best tackle store in Kelowna for you?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
No question Trout Water Supplies. I try to give them the business and you may pay a little more but you get knowledable staff and great service not to mention inside info on local lakes. Once in awhile I'll hit up Surplus Herbies in Vernon and if I'm desparate, Ukranian Tire or Mallwort.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I was at TWS a couple of hours ago and picked up a lovely black and glitter 4" Kwikfish and just for the hell of it I got a 'Hot Lips' by Luhr Jensen in black and glitter as well. Never seen one before but the guy said they have them due to local demand for the big lakes. It rattles and dives 30 feet! like a disco on the end of my line... I will try them on Kal Lake on Monday, launching from Kekuli. Any tips on a good flatline trolling spot? I was just going to head straight across and zigzag below the cliffs.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Just head south from Kekuli towards the cliffs. Do you have a sonar/fishfinder? If so look for the drop off along the cliffs. There's lakers there but you may need to go deep as much as 100 feet. I would put out a Kokannee rig on the surface if you're going out on the am.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts