BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They dumped 4.1 million litres of human waste into the south T river, and in turn contribute $20,000 to fish habitat to make things all better. Thanks Kamloops.
Photo: Contributed

The City of Kamloops has taken full responsibility for an incident last year in which more than 4,100 cubic metres of effluent made its way into the South Thompson River.
The incident occurred in September at the O'Connor lift station, located in the Dallas area.
Because of an incorrect valve adjustment, the sanitary line to the lift station backed up, resulting in sewage discharge to nearby ditches and the river.
When the mistake was detected, the Ministry of Environment was contacted and cleanup initiated.
According to the city, a staff member then erroneously dumped some of the contaminated materials into a storm drain during cleanup. Those materials eventually re-entered the river.
Following a community environmental justice forum, the city took full responsibility.
"The City of Kamloops accepts full responsibility and deeply regrets this incident occurred," the city said in a statement released Tuesday.
"As a result of the forum, the city will contribute $20,000 toward rehabilitation work on Tranquille River to improve fish habitat."
The city will also spend about $8,000 to enhance the alarm systems at all sewer locations to prevent future incidents.
Other steps have also been taken to prevent similar incidents. These include:

• Disciplinary action and staff training
  • Increased monitoring at all sewer stations
  • Increased signage and GIS mapping
  • Verification procedures for disposing of waste materials
  • Ensuring all contaminated materials are disposed of at the Kamloops sewage treatment centre
"The City of Kamloops takes this incident extremely seriously and will vigilantly review its protocols with staff and contractors to ensure appropriate procedures are followed," the city said.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I wonder how much residue remains at Pioneer and Riverside parks just downstream.
There were people swimming there on the weekend.
I live here and this is the first I have heard of the spill.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts