BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever notice how often you go to set the hook and miss, the shrimp is lost at the same time. I decided to try putting some invisible thread on one of my tying bobbins and after putting the shrimp on I'd give her a few wraps to help keep it there. You have to use very little tension as the thread will disect the shrimp, but I managed to get a few wraps on it and it worked out great. :)

Ger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I just use spider thread and it works awsome :thumbup: I also use it on roe and I have never had a problem where it digs into the bait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Do most guys use the whole prawns or just pieces? I'm going to be using some this weekend and was wondering if you could just sorta thread the prawn over the hook as the hook and shrimp are sorta the same shape? Maybe use some spider thread as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
GerBear said:
Ever notice how often you go to set the hook and miss, the shrimp is lost at the same time. I decided to try putting some invisible thread on one of my tying bobbins and after putting the shrimp on I'd give her a few wraps to help keep it there. You have to use very little tension as the thread will disect the shrimp, but I managed to get a few wraps on it and it worked out great. :)

Ger

I am just curious how many times you set hooks and miss? Sounds to me like you need to shorten up a bit. just my two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uh oh, well Float Fisher guess you caught me on that one pal. I'm just blaming the whole thing on age, you know, the older the slower thingy. ::) Actually what it pretty much boils down to is my attention span, I mean really, how long can a fella sit/stand there and gaze into the formidable depths of the ( Black Hole ) LOL Seems like someone calls there dog or asks a question and I look up from the latest 20 minutes span of guarding my float, no sooner do I return to my vigil and see it either returning from the depths or just reaching the end of the bite and of course hope upon hope that it's still clutched in the mouth I can't help but give the yank thing. To be honest, sometimes I get lucky and it's still holding the bait, but all to often it boils down to ( too little / to late ) I'm often left wondering if those rascals arn't using a spotter so they know when you look away or gaze at the sky as you down a gulp of warm ::) ( HOT CHOCOLATE!! ) never seems to fail. LOL

Ger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
GerBear said:
Uh oh, well Float Fisher guess you caught me on that one pal. I'm just blaming the whole thing on age, you know, the older the slower thingy. ::) Actually what it pretty much boils down to is my attention span, I mean really, how long can a fella sit/stand there and gaze into the formidable depths of the ( Black Hole ) LOL Seems like someone calls there dog or asks a question and I look up from the latest 20 minutes span of guarding my float, no sooner do I return to my vigil and see it either returning from the depths or just reaching the end of the bite and of course hope upon hope that it's still clutched in the mouth I can't help but give the yank thing. To be honest, sometimes I get lucky and it's still holding the bait, but all to often it boils down to ( too little / to late ) I'm often left wondering if those rascals arn't using a spotter so they know when you look away or gaze at the sky as you down a gulp of warm ::) ( HOT CHOCOLATE!! ) never seems to fail. LOL

Ger

Ger,
I see your point now. They caught ya off guard for a split sec. haha.

I had one of those last weekend. It gave a second chance though next drift by.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey now theres something else I never have given thought to, wonder how it would work out. The fresh shrimp we use up here are the kind that are peeled, cooked and ready to eat. Matter of fact I must confess that on occasion, rare as it often is, I return with much less bait than I began with and no fish to show for the loss, have no idea where those little suckers disappear too but there sure enough gone. :confused: Thanks for the great ideas, all kidding aside I'm gonna give them a try and see what works best, theres gotta be something a guy can do to firm those things up a bit.

Thanks again,
Ger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
FIRE-FISH said:
Do most guys use the whole prawns or just pieces? I'm going to be using some this weekend and was wondering if you could just sorta thread the prawn over the hook as the hook and shrimp are sorta the same shape? Maybe use some spider thread as well.
i use the tail part mostly, i think its a bit better than the upper part, at least it is not that easy to lose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
if you add a bit of coarse salt to the shrimp, it will firm them up enough to stay on the hook better, It worked for steelhead!
Rick is right as the salt takes out some of the moisture

I just use the tail piece

I dipped mine in some left over roe cure and the chum,springs,cohos loved it

Did not have any today so it was just shrimp with wool or tipped on a jig
and no steel for me(it was slow out there today though)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,275 Posts
A little more work, but I have found this method more than satisfactory:

We get a small handful of undersized prawns when we're fishing them, just about every lift. These, instead of tossing back, I keep specifically for fishing for steelhead where allowed.

I remove the head, leave the shell and tail intact, and dump procure over them for several hours. Not only brightens them up, but ensures they are quite tough. Eventually packed in coarse salt after draining, they will last indefinately in the freezer. At the river, I thread them onto the leader much as you would a pink worm. A small salmon bead on first, then insert the needle between the swimmerettes on the tail (dead center), through the body and out the head end. These will last dozens upon dozens of casts, often survive contact with the floor or other instream objects, and the steelhead very much seem to like them. I can recall several occasions when we've witnessed steelies streak right across a pool to smack them, and even have had them take on the retrieve.

Like I said, a little more work with the prep, but the endurance it produces is well worth that IMHO.

Tight Lines...
Nog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,386 Posts
Excellent post, 'Nog.......You can treat eggs roe, prawns in the same manner and a little experiment with the colour tints of the cure is also something that takes some time to perfect as the "right" clour varies from river to river depending on the conditions of the day.
Now, after all this discussion on prawn tails and shrimp.....who uses squid or octopus?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
IronNoggin said:
A little more work, but I have found this method more than satisfactory:

We get a small handful of undersized prawns when we're fishing them, just about every lift. These, instead of tossing back, I keep specifically for fishing for steelhead where allowed.

I remove the head, leave the shell and tail intact, and dump procure over them for several hours. Not only brightens them up, but ensures they are quite tough. Eventually packed in coarse salt after draining, they will last indefinately in the freezer. At the river, I thread them onto the leader much as you would a pink worm. A small salmon bead on first, then insert the needle between the swimmerettes on the tail (dead center), through the body and out the head end. These will last dozens upon dozens of casts, often survive contact with the floor or other instream objects, and the steelhead very much seem to like them. I can recall several occasions when we've witnessed steelies streak right across a pool to smack them, and even have had them take on the retrieve.

Like I said, a little more work with the prep, but the endurance it produces is well worth that IMHO.

Tight Lines...
Nog
Thx Matt, TMI IMHO ;D
Be at the IE gathering when ya fix'er ;D
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top