BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When your out hitting the flow, and walking from spot to spot, If you can kick in a couple of the carcases you see along the shore it will help the river out quite a bit...Obviously you could spend a day doing this (which would probably do the river more good then a clean up)..but if everyone kicks a few back in the river will benefit that much more...
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Actually it would be more benefit to throw the rotting carcasses up in the bushes. With the loss of streamside carrion eaters such as bears and mink and such, important streamside vegetation is lacking from the absence of these animals carrying these important nutrients up into the bush.
Certainly the water does not need help aquiring the nutrients, as once November rains arrive most carcasses are picked up by highwaters.

To add to this a big problem is the now yearly BLOWOUTS that carry away these same nutrients faster than they should be for mother nature to make use of them.
This is a strong reason why we now need to add fertilizer ourselves.

Ahhh, the beauty of bad logging practices :-X.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Bent Rod is probably right that throwing them into the bushes would be better. But I bet I speak for most of us when I say that I don't want to pick up a half rotten pink or chum off the ground and carry it over into the bush.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Actually I have seen how fish carcass affects the trees on the river banks. It was a show about making traditional bows and somehow the topic went off to a diffferent note towards how the age rings on a tree vary in thickness depending on how big the fish run was on the river; the thicker the space between the age rings the healthier the run was during that year. It's nature's way of fertillizing ;)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Dumping carcasses is for small streams that lack the returns that the lower rivers witness.

I have partaken in that joyous job and have a good understanding of the reasons why we fertilize streams and the methodology for it.

I am not suggesting that putting fish in a river is not helpful, but if you wanna make an impact, fill your truck box with those carcasses and haul them into the tiny creeks of the upper Chilliwack and then you will be actually bolstering nutrients WHERE they are needed.
When placing fert bags on the chilliwack, we do this many miles up feeder creeks where natural fertilizer is very low.

In the lower reaches you are better to leave carcasses where they are as the ones on shore are doing there part to seed riverside vegatation and provide meals for carrion eaters who actually fertilize via their droppings.

I understand you are trying to do some good GG, but it may be a reversal of what the system needs.

Mother nature suffers from our interventions enough, leaving the carcasses alone is important. Also consider the fisheries guys who do carcass counts as a form of fish counting, this would fak up their job also.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
We were just talking about this today on the ride home from the river. Studies have found marine protein in vegetation within 150 yards of all salmon bearing streams studied. The onloy conclusion is that bears, eagles and other carnivores have taken salmon carcasses away from the rivers and streams and consumed much of it in the riparian zone, thus fertilizing the forest. On a related note, I have not seen any significant numbers of eagles at the rivers this year. Not a very good sign at all.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Was up in the Harrison today and noticed what seemed to me to be a very low number eagles, only a few around, when I fished there four years ago there was thousands, every tree had eagles in them and they were swarming the banks of the river like flocks of seagulls.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Lots of food for the eagles up north right now. When the cold snap hits the north the eagles will migrate farther south! :cheers: sage

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bent Rod said:
Dumping carcasses is for small streams that lack the returns that the lower rivers witness.

I have partaken in that joyous job and have a good understanding of the reasons why we fertilize streams and the methodology for it.

I am not suggesting that putting fish in a river is not helpful, but if you wanna make an impact, fill your truck box with those carcasses and haul them into the tiny creeks of the upper Chilliwack and then you will be actually bolstering nutrients WHERE they are needed.
When placing fert bags on the chilliwack, we do this many miles up feeder creeks where natural fertilizer is very low.

In the lower reaches you are better to leave carcasses where they are as the ones on shore are doing there part to seed riverside vegatation and provide meals for carrion eaters who actually fertilize via their droppings.

I understand you are trying to do some good GG, but it may be a reversal of what the system needs.

Mother nature suffers from our interventions enough, leaving the carcasses alone is important. Also consider the fisheries guys who do carcass counts as a form of fish counting, this would fak up their job also.
I was talking to the head honcho at the skagit river hatchery down here in Wa. He was telling me about the truck loads of carcasses that they take up to the top and drop in by helicopter...was kind of a side topic as we were more impressed with what it would be like to drop these huge bombs down into the river and see what that would look like..anyways, He said that most rivers down here and in lower mainland of B.C. aren't as rich nutrient wise as they once were and this helps the river quite a bit, said the more they see what it's doing the more they like what they see...Our skagit is a big river, while the Vedder is quite a bit smaller, so would think it would help it out even more...Fraser on the other hand could be a whole nother animal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bent Rod said:
I say carcass bomb the human oxygen wasters now residing at the tamahi area.
Honestly, can you imagine how much fun it would be to drop a 40lb frozen S.bomb down into that flow....It would be like an ant farm scattering...We asked if we could get rides in the helicopter to "volunteer" down here...We were told "No way" rank has it priveleges...more then welcome to drive um up and help load um though... :-X

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.