BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

I have a 28' Bayliner Cabin Cruiser that my wife and I purchased back in December. I bought a used 2005 Honda 9.9 that I wanted to use as a kicker motor. My plan was to use a Panther T4 hooked up to a Trollmaster Pro3 to give me both remote steering and speed control. I have since learned that the Panther T4 will not work on this motor as there is no threaded thru tilt-tube on this motor. Honda does make a kit for this but it is for pre-2001 motors. I have been unable to find a conversion kit for my 2005 motor. I now have to make a decision. Either I buy a different 9.9 or 15 hp engine that does have a threaded thru tilt tube (and also purchase a different Trollmaster Pro3 as these units are brand-specific) or I find another way to remotely control the kicker motor. A third option would be to abandon the remote control completely and just get an extra long tiller handle and control the motor that way. Does anyone have any suggestions on better/cheaper alternatives to what I have now? So far this year I have been trolling using my main engine which is a 7.4L Mercruiser which just sucks down the gas like you can't imagine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Tight Lines!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could try trading the motor on Craigslist for one that would work with your setup.
I chose the Honda brand because I have heard great things about the reliability of these motors. If I cannot find a way to make the Honda 9.9 work that is exactly what I plan to do. It kind of sucks since I have already paid to have the motor serviced and mounted on my boat. If I sell it I will probably have to pay to have it uninstalled as well. Do you know if anyone uses a manual tiller setup for trolling on a 28 foot boat? Would I be laughed at if I set it up using a manual tiller control with an extensible tiller arm?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed a TR1 Gold auto pilot, it does everything. I can easly fish alone.
Just did a search for this unit. Looks nice, but the price.....OUCH! It costs more than what I paid for the motor! Thanks for the recommendation though. Maybe I can find one on Craigslist or someplace used. I also looked at the older Panther 101 model which does not require a thru tilt tube but there appear to be a lot of comments in the blogosphere about these units failing in saltwater conditions. Can't believe no one makes conversion kit for motors without a thru tilt tube. Maybe there is a niche market for manufacturing such a kit.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just my opinion from my own personal experience but........that 9.9 wont be enough kicker for that size boat anyway unless you only use it on really calm days.
If its windy or rough you are going to need one of the Sail/high thrust units, your boats probably pushing 10Klbs

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the opinion Sr SQ. To be honest, I was worried about that but when I did my investigation I saw many examples of people who used the 9.9 as a kicker on these boats so that is what I bought. Personally, I would prefer a 15 hp but I didn't find a late model used one at the time. Can you recommend a make/model of a 15 hp that has a thru tilt tube that I might switch to?

·
Registered
335 Posts
summer 2010 005.jpg Hmmm so this 28ft Bayliner with a 10ft beam and 10,000lbs shouldnt move I guess with the 9.9ht yammi, I guess im one of the lucky ones?8)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Take a look at the Goetz steering systems.....a little motor inboard running hydraulics to a ram mounted on the engine. They work well....a little more money than the t4 but the electronics are inboard which is nice. It is a smidge slower than the t4 as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take a look at the Goetz steering systems.....a little motor inboard running hydraulics to a ram mounted on the engine. They work well....a little more money than the t4 but the electronics are inboard which is nice. It is a smidge slower than the t4 as well.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just did a search for this unit. Found one in Langley. This unit does give me steering but not speed control. Guess I would still need an extensible tiller handle so I have throttle control without having to step out on my swim grid. I am still contemplating upgrading to a 15 hp if I can find one that will work with the Panther T4.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have a 15hp merc 4stroke with a panther t4 on a 2452, the 15 hp is overkill but we got it cheap and it's quiet as we never run at high rpm's. For speed control, we looked around for quite some time and stuck on a tiller extension while we figured ou the best solution and guess what? We found that we don't change speed that much during trolling so the tiller extension works fine. The only issue we do have is the f/n/r selector requires a stretch to reach on the merc if evasive maneuvers are needed in a pinch but so far no problems even after two Downrigger/submerged crab float tangles.

·
Registered
468 Posts
http://www.powrtran.com/cgi-bin/cart/showdetails.cgi?parts_id=9716

I bought one of these a few years ago for my kicker, what a piece of junk. DO NOT BUY ONE. It's too sloow to keep up to any bit of wind or current that you might be working against, the remote is wired with what looks like 14/2 household wiring. It's sitting in my basement collecting dust now cause I hate it and I'd feel uncomfortable selling it to someone else. I wondered if the Panther was much better, but I'm not going to take a chance on it either. My next purchase will be a TR-1.

·
Registered
513 Posts
TR-1 TR-1 TR-1 Absolutely the only way to go.
I truly don't think I could fish without one now.
Best investment you could make. If you go out with someone who has one.
You will be immediately sold.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Try docking with a TR1? Very nice when trolling ....agreed.... but if you have a main motor or 2 fail...... try docking, Baystar hydraulic is my choice.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Just went to check out Baystar and found this?

CAUTION

BayStar is ONLY applicable for single station steering. DO NOT use BayStar on smaller HP outboard engines that use wing nut type transom mount clamping screws.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Maybe they just mean you have to drill and bolt to the transom and I speak as someone who had a 15hp fly off my transom and live at the bottom of Stave Lake for 6 months due to not doing just that.:thumbup:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah, they say its only for single station but after talking to them and explaining it was for a 9.9 and speeds of a max. of 5-6mph they said no problem, and if you don't remove your kicker why wouldn't you bolt it down? Safer and harder for thieving bass-tards to steal. :2cents:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Try docking with a TR1? Very nice when trolling ....agreed.... but if you have a main motor or 2 fail...... try docking, Baystar hydraulic is my choice.
Absolutely no problem docking with a TR-1.
Just use the left or right button just like your steering wheel.
Also I have a link bar I can use if my TR-1 fails.
Never happened yet.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Absolutely no problem docking with a TR-1.
Just use the left or right button just like your steering wheel.
Also I have a link bar I can use if my TR-1 fails.
Never happened yet.
In theory...just push the button left or right...what about in a tight marina, with wind and river current?........what about trying to control throttle and steering at the same time with the remote? Just curios?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts