BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start fishing my 17', 115hp outbourd on the chuck this year and I'm debating whether to spend the $$ on a kicker, or simply get a trolling plate like this one.

Engineering-wise, the trolling plates have come a long way (they're spring loaded an kick up if you forget to life it up). If you have good/bad experience with these and can comment on the pros and cons of a kicker vs. a trolling plate, I'd apprecaite any insight.

tia.

LL

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spring king said:
I personally prefer a trolling motor just because it quieter and more fuel efficient plus it is a backup motor to get me home if there is a problem with the main motor.
Preference is one thing. Budget is another.

There's obviously no comparison when it comes to price.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tazzman said:
wouldnt that be harder on the bigger engines as rpm speed would be low for so long ? carbon buildup etc?
I've heard similar before, too, but not from anyone who had an informed opinion i.e. a mechanic. Hopefully one of the marina guys who frequent the forum will chime in.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I use a 9.9 four stroke merc on my 18 foot Lund. Not sure about your Lund, but my big engine is a two stroke which is loud and thirsty. If i was in your position i'd spend the money and buy a kicker. Especially now that there are boat show deals to be had

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in agreement with Sandhead...I have a 2 stroke as well and I bought a 9.9hp 4 stroke kicker...It's alot quieter and cheaper on gas. I was able to get my kicker pretty cheap and was lucky enough to find a hvy duty bracket on craigslist...

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey there, don't consider this plate idea, get the kicker , reason 1. kicker uses less fuel, 2. less smelly and noisy, 3. why put unneeded hours on your main engine 4. if your main craps out you ve got a way home. 5. why incorporate added drag on your main engine. 6.kickers can offer more consistent micro throttle adjustments needed for trolling. 7. again, if your engine fails you are not totally screwed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
labignan said:
hey there, don't consider this plate idea, get the kicker , reason 1. kicker uses less fuel, 2. less smelly and noisy, 3. why put unneeded hours on your main engine 4. if your main craps out you ve got a way home. 5. why incorporate added drag on your main engine. 6.kickers can offer more consistent micro throttle adjustments needed for trolling. 7. again, if your engine fails you are not totally screwed.
Great points to consider. Thanks labignan.

·
Registered
64 Posts
lund, go with a kicker. You will save on gas and you will save your 115 HP from all those un necessary hours and noise!~. Plus you will have a back up engine if something ever did go wrong with your main engine.. I am in the market for a newer one as well I will let you know if I find any good deals.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GrandA said:
lund, go with a kicker. You will save on gas and you will save your 115 HP from all those un necessary hours and noise!~. Plus you will have a back up engine if something ever did go wrong with your main engine.. I am in the market for a newer one as well I will let you know if I find any good deals.
Thanks GrandA.

So far, I've found a new 9.9 Merc runs about $2,500. I was going to try to get to the boat show to see if there are any deals to be had, but I'm not going to make it. Please PM me if you find any deals. I'll do the same.

What make/model/HP are you looking for?

LL

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KoneZone - Thanks for that. I have been looking in Craigslist and the Buy & Sell, etc. I was given a price of $2,500 for a new Merc, so even though this one has some options, I'd still prefer to spend $2,500 on a new one as opposed to one that's 4 years old.

LL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.