BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy Ritchie and I decided to head up to a lake near Kidd Lake to see if we could entice some rainbows with some late Fall patterns and tactics. The lake is fly fishing only, single barbless and catch and release. These regulations, as well as an installed aerator help the fish grow big. The drive West from Kelowna and then south at the Aspen Grove turn off on the Connector (97C) was very scenic with all the deciduous trees showing off their colors. Interspersed with the bright yellows and oranges is a reddish brown color – the telltale sign of the devastation of the Mountain Pine Beetle. The forecast called for 10 degrees and sunny skies, which is what it looked like as we launched the boat.

Our plan for the day was to anchor up on the shoals/weed beds and cast out into deeper water with either a large Gomphus dragonfly or a black or brown leech under a strike indicator. Because the water temperature was very cold – 43 degrees, we though a slow retrieve would work best. We did this for an hour or so and we had no hits. We then tried other sizes and types of dragonfly nymphs and various colors and sizes of leeches, varied our retrieve, and moved locations several times. Then the cold front blew in from Merritt. Black clouds and heavy winds descended upon us. Then the skies opened up with hail and sleet. We headed for shore to wait for the front to move through. Things didn’t look good. We knew that these rainbows didn’t like cold fronts. When the sleet and hail quit we headed back out, but the wind kept up. Man it was tough out there for about an hour and then in an instant, it was back to sun and blue skies, with a light wind.

After the storm we decided to change our approach entirely. The three other boats on the water, each with 2-3 anglers, had been anchored solidly for most of the day. I guess they had the same plan as us. One of the boats was fishing chironomids, but we all shared one thing in common – no hookups! We decided to start trolling with full sinking lines and some attractor patterns in red and chartreuse green. Ritchie tied on a red Spratley and I put on the biggest Woolly Bugger I could find. I put my rod in the rod holder and sat back for some lunch and after a few minutes my rod buckled over. I pulled it out of the holder and could instantly feel the weight of the fish. After a good battle we had the fish in the net. It was close to 5 pounds. I thought it would make a great picture so after removing the hook I reached into the net that was still in the water, grabbed the tail and it slipped out of my hands and back into the water. Aaargh! A short time later I had two more fish to the boat – one was about 16 inches and other 18 but very deep. Ritchie had several hookups but couldn’t land them. The funny thing is, a short time later, all these seasoned, hardcore anglers were trolling sinking lines and chartreuse Woolly Buggers, but we didn’t see them with any hookups. I guess on days were nothing is working and there are no noticeable signs of actively feeding fish, it pays to be persistent and to try different things.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
awesome that you guys were able to solve the mystery and get some hookups. Did you bother to stomach pump any of them to see what was on the menu?

I have fished Kidd lake and its very tough fishing. one guy did catch a couple though but not us LOL I think i know which lake your on but not 100% if it is then i also have not caught anything there :wallbash:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.